Avro Lancaster B.I- 1/72 Revell

Just showed up today. I am doing it as a B.I but the decals for WSJ Johhny Walker I think are for the Heritage Flight edition and not the WWII combat version. I will seek out the same version but in combat markings. My last build was Airfix's older mold Lancaster of "Admiral Prune".

Lancaster 1.jpg

Lancaster 2.jpg

Admiral Prune 6.jpg

Admirasl Prune 11.jpg

I just read that those decals for Johnny Walker are combat decals , the white rudders were painted in late 1944? I guess it denotes that that plane has a special type of radio. So I will use them and save a few bucks not buying after market ones.

Lancaster B.I W4964 WSJ 9 Sq 1944 .jpg

I can't say with 100% certainty, but I think WS J might have been fitted with bulged bomb doors & had no mid upper turret, this was to accommodate 8000lb HC, 12,000lb HC & 12,000lb tallboy bombs which were bigger in dia. The 1 pic of it doesn't show either area of the a/c to be sure. And whilst I am here, neither option in the box probably had the smaller side windows. White tailfins were painted for an attack on the battleship Tirpitz.

-----------

Edited by barkin mad

Thank you. I have some early images but they don't show the mid upper turret area but I see no bulged bomb bay doors and have so far read nothing about larger bombs being used in it, so far. I continue to search for information and if need be will buy after market decals for "Johnny Walker". Here is a weak beginning of the cockpit.

Lancaster 3.jpg

I think WSJ W4964 was a "Ton Up Lancaster", a B.I Special so I will now search for a basic B.I with "normal" features. I am not modifying it in any way, shape or form. This is suppose to be an easy, basic, fun build, so be it. And I do understand the Revell kit's warts, wheels and dihedral, which will be addressed.

Edited by jonwinn
punctuation
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...