SR-71A Hasegawa slight modification to M-21

I have the old 1/72 Hasegawa and am going to try to make it look similar to an M-21. the mother ship for the D-21 drone. I am not going overboard on accuracey, I basically want to sand the chines from roughly the launch control officers area to the nose tip, just enough to make it look thinner and more pointed. I think the D-21 drone is not totally accurate, I believe it was a D-21 and the kit depicts a D-21B. I have about 3 of them, Revell, Italeri and Hasegawa's, none look right but I can't find real good images of the one used on the M-21. I have some work done and did a test fit of the fuselage halves, it looks like a decent fit at least.

M21 6.jpg

M21 2.JPG

M21 4.jpg

Yes, I think shorter tail cone? Some things will and some won't get done. I will do a better one when the M-21 kit comes out. I promise! LOL

Edited by jonwinn

I bought a scribe, Trumpeter and don't like it. I have scribed many times but at work on metal fabrications in a machine shop. I used a scribe that looks similar to an ice awl and blued the metal with Dykem blueing ink. I did that for maybe 30 years and this ain't quite the same. So I went on line and found a You Tube scribing tutorial done by FSM. It showed the types of scribes, saws, sewing needles and straight edges. I got a sewing needle from my wife and chucked it in one of my pin vises. Before that I bought a roll of Dymo label tape. Things are much better, I may try the Trumpeter scriber but not right now. Still need some practice but I can fill the over scribes with putty.

M21 15.jpg

M21 16.jpg