Amodel T-400, AKA: Beechjet, AKA: Hawker Raytheon 400XP

This kit is a welcome addition to my collection.   

This airplane started its life long ago as a product of Mitsubishi Aircraft in the 1980'sand then was bought by the Beechcraft Aircraft Company and marketed as the Beechjet.  A nice purchase by the USAF for an aircrew-type trainer, designated the T-1 Jayhawk put some life into it and Beechcraft did fairly well in the newly evolving light jet world with it.  It's final rendition as of about 10 to 15 years ago is the Nextant with a light engine upgrade, winglets and Garmin avionics has given it quite a new lease on life.  

Upon examining the parts, the only gripe I have is the fuselage seems to not replicate the slightly oblong vertical stretch it has but is not that noticeable in this scale.  It's actually not that noticeable in the real aircraft until you sit down in the passenger cabin and you don't have the overhead curving into your scalp like in the Citation.

I taught this airplane for two years at Flight Safety in Wichita and it was fairly complex and requires a second pilot although Mitsubishi designed to originally fly with just one.  Over the  years the cockpit has changed configurations and other systems were modified with the last one rolling off the line in 2009.  I recall my program manager demanding I "check all our pubs" to make sure they were up to date.  Interestingly, there are no "up-to-date" pubs other than what Beechcraft published in 2009.  

However, as for the model it appears to scale out correctly and the parts for thrust reversers are there but the bottom "skeg" is not, which for a Mitsubishi is fine but for anything Beechcraft is required.  It's for gear-up landings, for the fuselage to scrape along the runway.

Since the cabin door is closed there are no parts for an interior.  The almost full-span flaps are etched in properly, as are the outboard trim tabs.  The roll spoiler hinges are a tad oversize but can probably be filed down to proper width.  The instrument panel decal on my kit will be replaced by a photo-edited picture of the diagram handed out on day one of class for initial.   

It's an impressive little kit.

Thanks for posting this! I have some time in the Diamond Dog and the Beechjet, so this and the A&A King Air 200 are making it more and more difficult for me to avoid getting into 1/72. 😄

Ben