Meng 1/48 F/A-18F Block 1 Backdate

Hi all.

I have a couple of Meng 1/48 F/A-18F super hornets and was thinking of doing an early EMD Block 1 jet but then as I was browsing through the instructions I stumbled upon a problem.  Whilst it was nice of Meng to give use the option of early segmented ECS vents as well as the updated Bard stacks, there’s no option to backdate the cockpit as only the updated ACS instrument panel and shroud are provided.  As far as I can tell, the bard stacks came before the ACS cockpit.  Anyone else noticed this and any options of backdating the cockpit??

IMG_1205.thumb.jpeg.206fc699d691a1bbcf39238b6e8006a2.jpeg

IMG_1206.thumb.jpeg.3bb999d85bd85feec471a5a93b8786c2.jpeg

Block I cockpit VS Block II ACS cockpit

IMG_1207.jpeg.e5b39f862cd4a741cd2c2a8b0c6966c4.jpeg

IMG_1208.jpeg.94acd2d6884753af8a735f8c4fdb203a.jpeg

Edited by Andrew Maverick Taylor

I believe some did a backdate to the Meng kit and used parts from the Hasegawa kit and said they fit just fine (rear pit stuff).  May have been a Blue Angel build but would need to look back and check for sure. 

4 hours ago, Gary F said:

I believe some did a backdate to the Meng kit and used parts from the Hasegawa kit and said they fit just fine (rear pit stuff).  May have been a Blue Angel build but would need to look back and check for sure. 

Well that’s handy because I’ve got quite a few Hasegawa EA-18Gs and they include the original Sprue F from the -18F kit and only the G uses the new panel and shroud.  So I’ve got plenty of spares.  I’ll do a dry fit and see how it looks.

43 minutes ago, Gary F said:

The build I referenced is a Blue Angel F model, about 4 pages back in work in progress and finished in display case. 

Thanks for the pointer, looks like the Hasegawa parts were made for the Meng kit.  Thanks for the help. 👍

I built the Blue's F with the Hasegawa parts and yes the Hasegawa parts fit the rear pretty well.  There is a small gap between the front seat and where the coaming should sit.  I just used some sprue to fill it in as it is barely noticeable.   

Also, note the Hobbyboss kit comes with the pre-acs cockpit.  You might be able to find those parts if you don't want to use the Hasegawa ones.   

5 hours ago, eraucubsfan said:

I built the Blue's F with the Hasegawa parts and yes the Hasegawa parts fit the rear pretty well.  There is a small gap between the front seat and where the coaming should sit.  I just used some sprue to fill it in as it is barely noticeable.   

Also, note the Hobbyboss kit comes with the pre-acs cockpit.  You might be able to find those parts if you don't want to use the Hasegawa ones.   

Awesome build you’ve done of the Blue Angel.

I checked in the Hobby Boss kit, I have both the F and G.  The EA-18G has Sprue H from the F kit which contains the pre ACS shroud and panel which will be spare so I have options with either Hasegawa or HB parts.

21 hours ago, Andrew Maverick Taylor said:

Awesome build you’ve done of the Blue Angel.

I checked in the Hobby Boss kit, I have both the F and G.  The EA-18G has Sprue H from the F kit which contains the pre-ACS shroud and panel which will be spare so I have options with either Hasegawa or HB parts.

Appreciate that, one thing to consider, the detail on the Hasegawa panel is not as "good" as the Meng.