BoB Bf109-E Experts please

Hello all

Calling the Bf109-E experts for the BoB time frame. I have that 1/48 Airfix 109 E3 that I was planning on building as Ernst Arnold's yellow 12 that crash landed in the UK. I first had a profile that showed is as a E-3! After having the main paint job done I found out that his plane was actually an E-1. Since I did not want to rip the wings apart to change it back and then re-paint everything I was looking around for another subject that would fit my paint job. I did find yellow 4 of 1.JG-27 but I only have one picture of it. Is this plane known and does someone have more info about it please?

thanks a lot

Uwe

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E3-I.JG27-Yellow-4-France-1940-01.jpg

20231119_110055.jpg

Edited by anj4de

Depending on your available decals and if you have an E-4 canopy you can/want to swap, that scheme you painted is accurate for several planes.

Are you trying to limit yourself to an E-3 from 3./Jg 27?

I am limited to an E-3 right now. I do have another 109 in the making which will be an E-4. This E-3 has the glas parts that came with the Zvezda F-2! I have no clue why Zvezda would supply E-3 glas parts in their -F kits but they do. Those E-3 parts are very nice where as the Airfix parts are unusable. So yes, I would like to stick to the E-3 here. I have the yellow 4 from Marseille's yellow 14. The rest so far are generic early 109 markings.

thanks

Uwe

Edited by anj4de

Ok, that makes things clearer.

I did find the same picture of "Yellow 4" in a book that I have. Caption simply says it's a 109E-3 of 3./Jg 27.

I found a different picture of what I believe is the same plane before having the cowl painted yellow.

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E1-3.JG27-Yellow-4-F

The size, shape, and position of the "4" is an exact match to the photo you provided. And the camouflage pattern on the spine aft of the canopy also matches exactly.

This means that the rear canopy section and the gun cover / air intake panel were replaced between photos.

The site I got this photo from calls it an E-1, despite not having a view of the guns or Werknummer. Also, that site has so many mislabeled photos that I would disregard any caption from there that is not corroborated by another source. I just wanted to mention the discrepancy to prevent future confusion.

Do your decals for Marseille's "Yellow 14" have the numbers outlined in black or are they solid yellow?

FYI, the Zvezda kit has the earlier canopy because there are documented cases of some 109F's from JG 5 having the early canopy retrofitted. 

Edited by Cool Hand
additional info added

My yellow 14 has the black outlines...

Those JG 5 birds I have to look up! That sounds like a cool variation. Just as odd as -E birds with Erla canopies...

thanks

Uwe

Edited by anj4de

While I wait for the yellow 14 decal to arrive, to get the required yellow 4 with black outlines, some other decals came in. So the 2nd 109E I have on the bench, an Eduard E-4, bought as a E-7 WE edition years ago, receives some attention...

20231207-003327.jpg

New-Project.jpg

cheers

Uwe

Hello all

A little more progress. The yellow 4 decals are on, HGW wet transfers, great stuff! So now the question is, mottling or not?  The Eduard E-4 has it's main paint coat applied, next are the decals. The different shades of RLM 65 show here, the lighter one was mixed based on a Revell RLM65 enamel paint, the darker one is Gunze Mr. Color Laquer paint. RLM02 and RLM71 in both cases are MRP.

[url=https://postimg.cc/BjCHzrdf][img]https://i.postimg.cc/Nj3DKYDF/20231208-225615.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://postimg.cc/xXQLtfpP][img]https://i.postimg.cc/Gm8z39k6/20231208-225640.jpg[/img][/url]

Edited by anj4de