'Look at Life' British 1960s Military-Theme Short Films

Stumbled across these whilst searching for something on YouTube - 'Look at Life' was a series of 8-10 minute short films by the Rank Organisation which replaced newsreels in UK cinemas from 1959 until 1969. Shot on high-grade 35mm colour film, they contain some fascinating and stunning footage, none of which I've personally ever seen before...

These military-themed ones have been correlated into a 'volume', and feature not just the British military of the day, but those on aviation and related subjects also include a NATO one (Air Umbrella), a West German one (Return to Arms), and one on the UK-based US Third Air Force (The Jet Folk).

Others cover army and navy subjects, and a few are multi-aspect, such as 'Pipeline', which features both naval replenishment at sea and air-to-air refuelling...

Link goes to the playlist - 45 in total (two are unavailable to me here in the UK):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlSEe-IVpCiGqwhcJ4BW4xAyB5nOZcekH

There are also many others available covering more general themes of everyday life - eg., another volume by the same uploader is dedicated to transport...

Edited by andyf117

Thanks for sharing this playlist. I just spent the past hour going down an unexpected rabbit hole watching some of the Look at Life films.

It's really fascinating to get a glimpe into daily life and operations of the militaries from that era. The footage is so crisp too, especially considering when it was shot. Some of the aerial scenes of carriers and aircraft manoeuvres were really cool to see.

I'll have to come back to the rest when I have more time. Thanks also for including the context on the series replacing newsreels - that historical backdrop makes the films even more interesting to watch. Might have to check out some of the other topic volumes too.