F-14 Seatbelt Details - How were they actually used?

Hi All,

Does anyone know if a video, or series of still photos, exist of how the crew of an F-14 actually secured themselves into the ejection seats?  There are some fabulous aftermarket seats for the F-14, but frankly, the 'jumble' of the belts/harnesses, while looking complex, never has satisfied my curiosity about how the pilots actually hooked themselves to the ejection seats.  I presume that the flight suits worn by the pilots included some D rings or other latching mechanics that interfaced with the belts that were attached to the seat, but I have never understood how the ejection seat belts attach to the pilots.  Does anyone know the process/procedure the pilots used to strap into the seat?  I would really love to know the details about how that mass of belts is actually used to secure the pilots in place.  Thanks in advance for helping to satisfy my knowledge of these details!

I can't speak to the GRU-7, but the NACES was pretty simple - there's a fitting at each hip that connects to the torso harness, then there are 2 fittings that connect to the shoulders of the torso harness, connection for the oxygen mask/comms and a hose connection for the G-suit.  The only other connections are the leg restraints that go on each ankle, to pull your feet back if you have to eject so you don't lose your legs at the knees.

You may find some useful information on the GRU-7 Seat used in the F-14A/B aircraft here: http://www.ejectionsite.com/frame_sg.htm

'Edit' - It looks as if this link just takes you to the Ejection Site and not directly to the page for the GRU-7 seat.  Look along the side 'index' for the MBA Mk. GRU-7A seat

Edited by F16CrewChief
Link issue

Curt, 

although the MB H7 is depicted here, the GRU 7 harness concept was pretty much the same. Basci ally, the pilot wears a harness without a parachute. The harness hooks to the risers/shoulder harness and to the survival kit. There is a sort of conventional lap belt and four leg restraint garters. The risers are connected to an inertia reel behind the crew members upper back. Even though foreign nations used MB, their harness assemblies were somewhat different. USAF/USN are rated to 40gs. RAF to 20 on those older seats. The MK 10 and up are probably common for every user I think

IMG_2090.png

Posted (edited)

Thanks to all of you  who responded to my request!  Though the grouping of restraints hanging on the seats when not in use look pretty messy, i think I can work through what goes where with the info that you provided.  Many thanks!

In particular, BillS, the video was super, not only in showing the basics of how the belts on the seat connect to the pilot, but also showed the face and neck 'curtain' I've heard about forever, attached to the upper ejection handles.  It was also a wealth of info about the practical limits of ejection, and provides reality versus some of thhe buzzwords even we non-pilots have heard (like 'zero-zero').  A GREAT video, despite its obvious age!!

Edited by Curt B
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bother you folks again, but once last question.  In the image above, it shows two 'garters' around the pilot's legs, one around the lower thigh and one around the lower calf.  Are those 'garters' items that are part  of the pilot's G Suits, that is, are those brought into the cockpit worn by the pilot, or doe the pilot have to attach and secure  those garters once he/she is in the cockpit, along with the other straps and belts?  Last question on this topic...promise! 

59 minutes ago, Curt B said:

Sorry to bother you folks again, but once last question.  In the image above, it shows two 'garters' around the pilot's legs, one around the lower thigh and one around the lower calf.  Are those 'garters' items that are part  of the pilot's G Suits, that is, are those brought into the cockpit worn by the pilot, or doe the pilot have to attach and secure  those garters once he/she is in the cockpit, along with the other straps and belts?  Last question on this topic...promise! 

Again, I can’t speak for the GRU-7, but the airplanes that I flew in had NACES and the leg garter was kept attached to the seat; one fastened it around the lower leg as part of the strap-in process.   I think that it could be removed from the seat leg restraint strap, but it normally wasn’t.   Honestly, I think it’s easier to do it that way than to hook the garter to the strap after fastening it to your leg.  (NACES only had one leg garter, that went around the lower leg just above the ankle).  The garters are not part of the G-suit.

4 minutes ago, Joe Hegedus said:

Again, I can’t speak for the GRU-7, but the airplanes that I flew in had NACES and the leg garter was kept attached to the seat; one fastened it around the lower leg as part of the strap-in process.   I think that it could be removed from the seat leg restraint strap, but it normally wasn’t.   Honestly, I think it’s easier to do it that way than to hook the garter to the strap after fastening it to your leg.  (NACES only had one leg garter, that went around the lower leg just above the ankle).  The garters are not part of the G-suit.

Thank you, Joe...perfect answer, just what I was looking for!