P-3B / P-3C ORION, What are the differences?

Externally, very little except various antennas depending on which timeframe and thus modification you refer to. Tried to look it up, but seems to be mostly internal, both on the ASW suite and the design. Once I believed the B had smaller radome, but cannot find anything to substantiate this right now.? May be because the B's could have received the larger radome of the C over time. Such updates have been known to happen with various aircraft as they have servicelife updates. 

Posted (edited)

Hi Niels,

Thanks, I ran into the same thing, found that if any changes were internal with different antenna configuration. I found some decals for the Argentina P-3B and wanted to make sure there weren't  any major differences. 

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Argentina-Navy/Lockheed-P-3B-Orion/2830209?qsp=eJxtjrEOwjAMRP/Fc6dUrVA2ujDCwA9YzgGRShs5Hqiq/jtJKzGx3d2z7rySzJPhY/clgTxlsMqLGkqs/M7kV%2BKoovywgXOU4%2BzkXNf8wAUT9D8i37quL0Ge1YalDAQ2nEWQDIGO/KoBWhGy7MvP%2BomrEno7XNsXG2JOI%2B8tMI4jbdsXXXQ%2B5g%3D%3D

P3BARGENTINA.jpg

Edited by Robert Garelli

If Argentinian P-3's are what you're after, I recommend that you wait a couple of months. They have bought 4 of the ex-RNoAF P-3C's which I think will be delivered now in 2024. 

The main differences between the B and C were that that early Bs had a search light on the starboard wingtip and they only had a single sonobuoy chute under the rear fuselage. The antenna fit was also different as Niels mentioned. The B's radome was the same size as the C. The L-188 Electra had the smaller radome.

The Argentine Bs were not fitted with the search light.

I built the subject kits a few years back...

72_P-3B_Argentina_61 72_P-3B_Argentina_63 72_P-3B_Argentina_50

8 hours ago, Robert Garelli said:

Thank you for the info, I was wondering about the buoy chute, couldn’t find a good pic. Awesome build, hope my comes out  half as good as yours! 

Robert,

These were the shots I used as my reference

6-P-54 C1A LockheedP3BOrion

Don’t the As and Bs lack the two small portholes on the right side of the aft fuselage (the crew rest area)?  I haven’t looked at P-3s in ages, but I think that’s a C identification feature.

4 hours ago, Illu said:

Don’t the As and Bs lack the two small portholes on the right side of the aft fuselage (the crew rest area)?  I haven’t looked at P-3s in ages, but I think that’s a C identification feature.

Yes you are correct.