Airfix or Hobby Craft 1/72 Beaver w/ floats?

Guys, I am thinking of purchasing a 1/72 DHC-2 Beaver w/ floats for a future project and I mostly build or have 1/48 to 1/24 aircrafts. However, I do have some 1/72 stuff but the smallest aircraft I have is EC-121. I think anything smaller will just get broken in my hands. But, I need one in this scale so I’ll try to be gentle.

I just noticed Airfix released their older DHC-2 kit and Hobby Craft is still available for cheap. So, my question for those that have build both of these kit…which is worth buying? Your input is very much appreciated. TIA

Mike

Mike,

I have owned both kits over time.  However, I got rid of my smaller 1/72 kits so I never built either.   

I thought the Airfix kit had the right shape but it had a lot of heavy panel lines and rivets.   Here is a review of the Airfix kit.   Airfix 1/72 DHC-2 Beaver, by Carmel J. Attard (modelingmadness.com)

The Hobby Craft kit fuselage halves are molded in clear plastic so the windows will be correctly placed.   You'll have to paint the interior first before you glue them together and be careful lining the fuselage together where the windshield meets.   There weren't any rivets and the panel lines are recessed.   In my personal opinion, I preferred the Hoby Craft kit over the Airfix.   It's not a slam on Airfix as I own many of their kits.  There are several kit builds on the internet but here is a copy of the instructions for the Hobby Craft kit.  166642-38-instructions.pdf (scalemates.com)

Hope this helps.

Don

Don, thanks for your opinion and information. I did look into the reviews online over the last few days and much to my surprise, and it goes with what you are saying, the Hobby Craft issued theirs with clear fuselages. There has been many kits molded with clear fuselage sections but I much rather deal with regular plastic. In my experience, they do crack as easily. 

You are right about Airfix going heavy on the exterior detail. Good Lord, those rivets should be on an armor tank..😄 

I too am leaning on HC kit. I’ll just have the careful with those clear fuselage half’s. Thanks again for your input. 

Having built the Airfix kit when it first arrived decades ago....

In addition to the rivets, it has a a number of strange "bumps" atop the wing center section. 

I don't know if they are supposed to be British Army antennas or something else.

(I would wager they used a UK Army example for reference...considering the few Beavers on the UK register).

I have seen many Beavers, and none of them have those features...including an ex-UK Army example that I have flown in.

I believe the upper cabin windows were optional. Very often seen on military ships. 

I do not know if U.S. military Beavers (A large proportion of the production) had them.

The fact that the UK versions had them means there is likely no reason why they couldn't be there...(spar, fuel tank, etc.) which would mean they could be a regular ootion.

Even if you examine a currently flying example that is ex-military, don't assume it is factory correct. Many (most) of them have been rebuilt a time or two and any cabin windows could have been deleted.

John, you are right about the widows on currently active beavers that are flying in Northern America and Canada. I have been watching many YouTube clips on them and not two are alike any more. Make me wish I need to go buy a lottery and forget the model just purchased 1:1 as they look totally cool 😆

Edited by Youngtiger1