How to paint cockpits with Zenith highlights and contrast techniques.

I’m one of those acrylic lacquer users, but… I find these links quite interesting and am now using water based acrylics more for interiors. Will Tamiya X-20A (the water/alcohol thinner) work with AMMO by MiG?

1 hour ago, Chuck1945 said:

I’m one of those acrylic lacquer users, but… I find these links quite interesting and am now using water based acrylics more for interiors. Will Tamiya X-20A (the water/alcohol thinner) work with AMMO by MiG?

Hey Chuck,

X-20a is not recommended for Ammo acrylics. To get the best out of water based acrylics and I do mean any water based acrylic (Vallejo, Ammo, AK, Army painter, etc). I recommend you check out the video below. The thinner mixture within will permanently change your water based acrylic airbrushing game. 

Edited by FalconFan24

Interesting video, thanks for sharing.

Perhaps 20 years ago when Aeromaster folded there was an attempt to replace them backed at least in part by Eagle Strike called Color of Eagles(at least that is what I remember). The paint was produced by Vallejo and I got some of the colors to try. My initial impression was that these were the smoothest spraying acrylics I had ever tried. Digression here; I had been using Polly Scale and while I liked the paint, I could never do anything like a Luftwaffe mottle, tip clogging, no matter what I tried, always occurred. So the smooth spraying of those new paints by Vallejo seemed like a miracle. Then I discovered the finish was extremely fragile, seemingly a stern look would cause scratches to appear. I ended up giving away the paints and swore off Vallejo. Perhaps it is time to give them a second chance…

Chuck,

I used to work for print companies doing airbrush work and I can tell you.....paint chemistry has significantly changed over the years. What you are seeing now is acrylic paints with additives that make the paint stronger than ever before. It is common practice in the professional artist community to add additives to strengthen the paint. Now this is now being used for the hobby world. The thinner mixture in my video acts as an additive along with thinning the paint. Second for acrylics you have to shift your thinking a bit. Most of us grew up on lacquers/enamel paints. And with those paints you blast them on....cant do that with acrylics or your get orange peel. So it is a bit of a mind shift. But I promise once you get over that hump and understand how to use acrylics....you will get the exact results as lacquers and enamels.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions on how to work with acrylics.