In the past I have used a low-magnification microscope, I think sometimes called a dissecting scope, to paint small parts, and it's worked out well. The other day, I saw the item below for sale and picked one up and it seems like it might work very well for painting small parts and things like that.  It can be found from various sources by searching for pallipartners lcd digital microscope, but I picked it up from Woot:

https://electronics.woot.com/offers/pallipartners-lcd-digital-microscope-1

It is self-lit, has a rechargeable battery so you don't have to have it plugged in, and has a good-sized screen.  I just did a quick test, looking at some small parts (a 1/48 scale cockpit), and found I could move a pin accurately over the buttons, which I have done for painting.

Anyway, I hadn't seen them before and thought I'd post here in case anyone found it useful.

Edited by Ken Cartwright

Very nice, Ken!

Wish I had known about this before. I bought a Yoctosun which is okay, but it tends to get heavy on the head after a while.

Mine has the battery compartment and it is heavy if you've got to wear it for more than 20 minutes.

Then it's the changing the lenses and tunning them to focus while having the thing on your head which puts me off (and the look of "Somewhere In Time" that it gives me).

Cheers,

Gwendoline