Lacquer Thinner Compatibility

At the auto parts store I found two types of Rustoleum lacquer thinner on the shelves:   'Lacquer Thinner' and 'Epoxy & Lacquer Thinner'   Is one better or more suited than the other in using with modeling lacquer and enamel paints, or will both work equally well?  Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Buy whatever's cheapest. Is this for thinning or cleaning? I thin paint with hobby thinner and clean with cheap stuff. I use KleanStrip Lacquer Thinner from Home Depot for cleaning. I haven't run into anything it won't clean, including a few eBay airbrushes that I have no idea what was in them. It also never crossed my mind to use it for thinning paint for the airbrush. 

For paint thinner I'd either stick to the recommended thinner for your paint or Mr. Color Leveling thinner if it's compatible. I only use paint I can thin with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner so I don't have to stock a bunch of different types of thinner. (MRP, Tamiya, AK Real Color, Hataka Orange, Cross Link enamel). 

I go through a couple quarts of generic lacquer thinner a year and it might take me a couple years to go through a pint of Mr. Color Leveling Thinner.

Edited by Crash Test Dummy

Thanks for the info.  The lacquer thinner is mainly for cleaning.  However, it has worked well for me as a thinner for my Testors Master Model enamels.  For my 'newer' paints (i.e. post-Master Model) I use the recommended thinner for the specific paint.  It is interesting that the 'Epoxy & Lacquer Thinner' directions recommend NOT using that thinner with synthetic-hair brushes....

18 hours ago, Crash Test Dummy said:

Buy whatever's cheapest. Is this for thinning or cleaning? I thin paint with hobby thinner and clean with cheap stuff. I use KleanStrip Lacquer Thinner from Home Depot for cleaning. I haven't run into anything it won't clean, including a few eBay airbrushes that I have no idea what was in them. It also never crossed my mind to use it for thinning paint for the airbrush. 

For paint thinner I'd either stick to the recommended thinner for your paint or Mr. Color Leveling thinner if it's compatible. I only use paint I can thin with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner so I don't have to stock a bunch of different types of thinner. (MRP, Tamiya, AK Real Color, Hataka Orange, Cross Link enamel). 

I go through a couple quarts of generic lacquer thinner a year and it might take me a couple years to go through a pint of Mr. Color Leveling Thinner.

This! ^^^^^^^ 

Just as CTD stated, if i cant thin with Mr. Color Leveling thinner, i dont use it! Incidentally, since doing this, i havent near the airbrush issues i had before