Help with Future

23-11-04

Guys!

I sprayed my Airfix Hawk woth Vajello Lt. Grey acrylic paint and then, once dry, I brushed on Johnson wax Klear (Future to you).

That was last night.

Tonight, I was intending to mask sections so I could spray the upper fuselage and was using the Tamiya masking tape. I had to repositin some of the tape and pulled it (gently) off AND THE PAINT CAME WITH IT!!!! :rolleyes: :o

What the HECK?? I thought the Future was meant to protect the paint job??

This has happened once before, on an ICM Spitfire I was making.

The only thing I think similar to both cases was that I didn't prime the model first. :cheers:

Is it better to airbrush the Future?

I have had to strip it and this time I sprayed the model with Tamiya silver (from a can).

When this dries, I'li try the grey again.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Liam

Did you prime the model before spraying the Vallejo?

Acrylics are not "hot" solvent based paints and thus are more fragile when applied directly to bare plastic. You should always apply a lacquer or enamel based primer to key into the plastic and provide a firm base for subsequent acrylic coats!

Vellego, while fantastic paints suffer this problem more than any paint I have used save Tamiya. Certainly I understand your pain as I have had this happen to me with canopy framing!

HTH

:rolleyes:

MikeJ

Thanks Mike for the reply.

No, as I stated earlier, I didn't prime the surface first, but will in future.

er, no pun intended.

Liam

:o

:cheers:

Now you cannot go better with a Tamiya lacquer spray. I use Tamiya fine white or grey primer as my primer of choice

:rolleyes:

MikeJ

If you don't want to prime you may want to try other acrylics like MM or Tamiya where priming isn't 100% necessary. You could even "prime" with future (Klear to you) :rolleyes: and then spray your acrylics over that. If you haven't settled on a line of paints to use you may want to consider going with Tamiya for acrylics you may get better results than with Vajello which are just wonderful for figure painting.

G'day!

Even before priming, it is worth cleaning the plastic to ensure there is no grease or oil that may prevent adhesion. I don't usually prime, use what ever type of paint that gives me the colour I need (inc acrylic), and don't suffer from "paint lift" after masking.

Wash the kit parts in soapy water before you start any work, and then once all the assembly is complete, give it a light wipe with metho or denatured alcohol (what ever its called in your part of the world) Then continue to spray as usual.

You shouldn't have any problems with your paint again if things are kept clean.

Cheers

Matthew

Now you cannot go better with a Tamiya lacquer spray. I use Tamiya fine white or grey primer as my primer of choice

:cheers:

MikeJ

Yepp! I second that! Tamiya FINE white primer is the way to go. Btw.: it is also great for landing-gears and wheelbays! ;) Just seal it with future and you can apply a wash.

István