Fokker D-VII

These photos show the current state of construction of my 1/48 Roden, Fokker D-VII.

The fuselage halves, 3/4 of the cowl and engine

DSCN1075.jpg

The CP floor, stick & rudder bar are stock, I added the throttle quadrant and aileron, elevator & rudder cables. They will eventually be hooked to their respective control surfaces.

DSCN1076.jpg

DSCN1077.jpg

The bottom and top of both wings

DSCN1079.jpg

DSCN1081.jpg

The cowl with radiator and motor mounts

DSCN1082.jpg

The power pod minus the top piece of cowl

DSCN1083.jpg

Comments welcome.

Darwin

It looks nice, but I hate to rain on your parade...

The interior was not painted. On the inside you would have had a "reverse effect" of the lozenge fabric covering the airframe.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Edited by mbittner

The interior was not painted. On the inside you would have had a "reverse effect" of the lozenge fabric covering the airframe.

yardbird, looks like you're really enjoying the build...

Yeah, matt's right, but you can always work on the interior details on the next one.

Frankly, I'm shocked that you're taking on that mind bending tape intensive LO paint scheme of Herr Udet! (He almost was my former father in law! My ex's mom dated him in the 30's at an airshow in Ohio!)

Keep up the good work, have fun!

Matt, ;) dicta ira dude! :thumbsup:

MrT

The outside of the fuselage of Lt Udet's plane was painted red. I was going on the assumption that the red paint would leach through the fabric and would show on the inside, albeit, somewhat lighter in color. I mixed some white with the red, but obviously, not enough.

I built a radio controlled model of this red/white D-VII about 5 years ago and I when I decided to do a plastic scale of the D-VII, this paint scheme was the only one I seriously considered. I have been a long time admirer of Ernst Udet, both for his WW-I accomplishments in combat and his between the wars efforts in aviation.

Darwin.

yardbird

This may save some frustrations later in your build

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2005/may/av...oden_fokker.php

Tom

Tom,

Thank you very much for the web address of that site with the D-VII review. I have already fought my way through most of the construction, learning by trial and error some of what the author wrote. The review will be very helpful in the remaining portion of my build.

Darwin

Edited by yardbird78

The reason the lozenge still should show on the interior is that the dope used to tighten the fabric also sealed the fabric. The Red color would have remainded on the outside of the last clear coat of dope put on at the factory.

Back in A&P school we did a test section then patched it. The fabric inside stayed linen colored eventhough had 4 coats of silver and 3 coats of orange on the outside.

The lozenge fab on German airplanes was a printed fabric so the print stayed visible on the inside.

I'm building the new Eduard D-VII right now

The reason the lozenge still should show on the interior is that the dope used to tighten the fabric also sealed the fabric. The Red color would have remainded on the outside of the last clear coat of dope put on at the factory.

Back in A&P school we did a test section then patched it. The fabric inside stayed linen colored eventhough had 4 coats of silver and 3 coats of orange on the outside.

The lozenge fab on German airplanes was a printed fabric so the print stayed visible on the inside.

I'm building the new Eduard D-VII right now

Ah Ha, now I understand where I digressed from the path of truth. Thanks for the explanation. I will take that into consideration, if and when I build another D-VII. This build has been a pain in the A _ _ to some extent, but I have still enjoyed it quite a bit just because it so different from the jets that I usually build.

Darwin