F8F Bearcat in 1/72

Hi all!!

I'd like to add a Bearcat to my 1/72 naval aviation collection and was thinking about my options!! I've just found the Sword option at a very expensive cost... is there any other nice kit available???

:cheers:

Serelle

the only other Bearcat kits in 1/72 that I'm aware of are the old Monogram kit (basic detail, raised panel line but a nice kit IMO) and the even older Frog kit (if you can find one). Not as crisp as the Monogram, but almost as nice. A bit heavier on the details. There's also a resin set by Cobra Company for the Monogram that has all the bits for the cockpit, wheel wells, etc. I think that getting that and the Monogram will give a very nice result (haven't actually built mine yet), and the total cost would still be less than the Sword kit. The big advantage, as I see it, to the Sword kit is that you can do either a proper F8F-1 or F8F-2 OOB, as there are 2 complete fuselages included (at least that's what I remember from the last time I looked in the box for the previous release from Sword of the Bearcat.)

Joe

I've got a couple of the Monogram kits and the Cobra set. Cobra gives you the wheel wells, cockpit, and engine..everything Monogram left out. The resin also fits like a glove, and I think the set only cost me about ten bucks American. I don't think the Monogram kit is currently in production, but it's not that hard to find, and can usually be had for five bucks or so.

I saw the Sword kit on a "discount" table the other day, and it was still marked around 25 dollars! They make some nice stuff, but it's too rich for my blood.

SN

I agree, Monogram + Cobra Company beats Sword on price. You will still need to do some work on the Monogram main legs, as the geometry is screwy, and I would (did, on mine) replace the engine with something that looks more like a late R-2800. Cobra Company gives you a copy of the kit engine with new round distributors instead of the "cowpie" distributors in the Monogram kit, but other than the distributor shape it's the same piece and looks like something awful compared to the rest of the set.

You need to fix the vertical stab and rudder on the Monogram kit too. Monogram made an F8F-1.5; the stab is too tall for a -1, too short for a -2. As it is easier to take away than add in, I'd recommend going for a -1 or -1B, unless some kind soul has the original Sword issue (I was told at a hobby shop recently that the newer Sword release has either -1 or -2 fuselage, but no longer both) and plans to build it as a -1 and will part with the -2 fuselage halves so you can convert a Monogram kit.

Thanks for the reminder, Lance. The Cobra set engine IS totally wrong for a Bearcat. It used the later R-2800 with the "squared off" bolted gearbox:

pr-2800.jpg

Both Monogram and Cobra give you a rendition of the earlier "round" gearbox version:

3.jpg

I'm sure you can get a correct engine from Engines and Things or Aeroclub..or you could be a man (cheap, that is :cheers: ) and modify the existig engine with some styrene tube and bits, or just assume it'll be hidden by the prop and not worry about it!

SN

Edited by Steve N