Badger 150 problems

I haven't had this problem in so long that I've forgot what causes it. :lol:

Using a Badger 150 (relatively new with fine head and needle) , model master enamels ( sufficiently thinned), at about 22-25 psi.

When spraying, the airflow pulses. I'm not getting consistent airflow. My compressor and tank are not the problem because my other rigs work fine.

I start with good, even pressure and after a second or two, pressure drops, then builds back up again, then drops, and so on.

The teflon head washer looks okay.

Any ideas about what's the cause??

Needle bearing sleeve?

Thanks in Advance,

Jay

The Teflon head washer might look ok but that doesn't mean it is. I've had to replace them a couple of times on my 150 and they always look ok when it starts pulsing.

The other thing that could cause a problem is the paint tip sealing, which is sealed with beeswax.

I always keep a spare Teflon washer and swap this first. The needle bearing should be ok on a relatively new brush unless you've mistreated it.

I've never sprayed enamel through the fine paint tip, I've always used the medium or large for enamels, has it caused you any problems?

I've never sprayed enamel through the fine paint tip, I've always used the medium or large for enamels, has it caused you any problems?

Thanks for the response.

I usually don't have trouble with MM enamels in the fine tip provided the paint is thinned right and I don't have any pigment lumps.

The more I think about it, the teflon washer does look kind of flat. I'll give that a try.

I haven't touched the needle bearing in this airbrush. So it should be okay. Plus the needle is relatively new.

And one of these days , I'll break down and buy me an ultrasonic cleaner.

Jay

Remove the airbrush from the airhose, turn on the compressor. If you still have up and down pressure, your problem is the compressor, not the airbrush.

Beyond that, if you are actually describing a "pulsating" action with the airbrush which results in "splattering" paint on the model, your problem is more than likely being caused by a faulty or worn needle bearing. This bearing is shown on the schematic in your Badger directions. I have had two brushes, one not used much, with problem bearings. In both cases I believe I caused the problem by cleaning too aggressively with a small, too "hard" bristly brush.....forcing this brush into the needle bearing from both the front and back of the brush damaged the bearing. Both brushes were repaired free of charge and returned postage-free by Badger. Instructions on where and how to send for repairs can be found at the Badger site which you can find with a Google. BTW, in both cases my brushes were out and back in 2 weeks or less.

bails

FWIW- I`ve had my Badg. 150 for 3 years now, and it`s used almost every day with enamel paints ( mostly MM and some Humbrol & AlcladII) all thinned exclusively with lacquer thinner and cleaned with the same (except of course Alclad,which I don`t thin).

The only time I had spattering & splattering (not sure if there`s a difference :cop: )was one time when I cleaned the snot out of it,and tore it apart. When i went to use it....sputter,splatter,spittery sput... :cop:

Talked to a guy at the place I bought it, sold me some Badger bees wax ,and was told to apply it to the threads of the tip assembly.

No more problems.I suppose cthe wax acts as a sealing agent,much like teflon tape or plumbers dope.

HTH

Paul T