Type of moisture trap to get?

Hi all!

I recently discovered this excellent site as I make my return to model building after an 18 year leave of absense.

I can afford now to buy decent equipment so I bought a new Paasche H airbrush to start off with. I'm going to get an 11 gallon air tank($30), add a pressure regulator($15) and use my large air compressor in my garage to fill it up. I plan on painting in my basement so this will be a portable and noisless solution for me. This is going to be a setup like Steve's here:

Air Tank Setup

In researching moisture traps it seems that there are two kinds; one is large and would connect between the regulator and the airbrush hose(like Steve's above.) My local hobby shop has this kind for $40. I've also seen another kind that is a small "in-line" trap that you cut the braided hose and fit this moisture trap onto. This type is $15 at Dick Blick art supply.

In Line Trap

I live in Ohio which can get pretty humid in the summer. Should I spend the extra $$ to get the larger trap or is the small one good enough?

Thanks for your help.

Fritz

My brothers and I ran off a tank for a while, Every now and then we would get a bit of condensation in the tank.

Before painting, I would turn the tank over so that the valve is at the lowest point and purge the tank of the water that would accumulate. This helps, but doesnt solve the problem completely.

I used a simple moisture trap from House of Tools.

http://www.houseoftools.com/product.htm?pid=15316

:)

I'd say you're OK with a cheaper water trap.

I started off with the tank set up you posted. I paid $15Cdn for this water trap:

Picture%20024.jpg

My suggestion is get one at an industrial supply shop. It will be cheaper than getting one at HD or Lowes, etc.

:thumbsup:

So I assume that if you got it at Wal-Mart for $12 it's just the small in-line type? Was it with the modelling supplies or somewhere else? I may have to stop be WM tonight.

Thanks, Fritz

Try in the automotive section. That's where I found my compressor and all the accessories needed.

Tom

Does not matter what type you get but you should try to locate it quite some distance from the air source (compressor) as moisture will condense when temperature in the air falls, and that is where the line trap is handy.

Typically I have about 6 to 9 feet between the compressor and the trap so that the air is relatively cooler before it hits the trap. NEVER immediately have the moisture trap next to the compressor especially if you using one of those diaphragm types. If you are using a SilentAire compressor, then you are in relatively good hands.

I used to model in Singapore where relative humidity was about 95% to 98% and you could get moisture condensing off the walls in the mornings. so I used to back up the regular moisturetrap / regulator with a line trap (from a Sil-Air compressor) , and clear the moisture every 30 minutes. Worked fine.

For Smithery's suggestion, I would mount the moisture trap separately, and extend the line between the compressor and the trap to about 6 feet. Coiled tube will suffice, but keep it away from the hot compressor.

Have fun

Adrian