How did it get to November already ? When I started this it was summer and I was single, now I'm back at uni (part time), working full time, and courting. Hence the lack of progress.

Having started with the best of intentions to produce 2xFGR2 and 2xF-4J(UK), with a bit of luck I should get one of each finished provided I get a clear run at them a couple of evenings this week.

The grey 56Sqn FGR2 is decalled, it just needs flat-coating and the twiddly bits adding. They're all painted, they just need attaching.

Here are the two F-4J(UK)s as well, Italeri ex-F-4S nearest the camera, Fujimi F-4J(UK) in the middle. The light grey is Xtracolour Flint Gray mixed with 25% light blue to try to get the strange duck-egg blue effect. It doesn't show up well in the photos though. The dark grey on the wings was lightened a lot from whatever FS number it's supposed to be and it still looks too dark/not blue enough to me, but I'm not messing any more with it. I'll use the Fujimi kit decals for one, I was going to use Yellowhammer decals for the other but I haven't been able to source any. So it will be finished using spare roundels and the spare serials off the Fujimi sheet to produce an "ex-works" machine with no squadron markings. Hopefully I can add them later.

The green/grey 56Sqn FGR2 is still in the shrink-wrap !

Why are the words "Fujimi" and "kit decals" in the same sentence making me sweat ?

Cheers,

Stuart.

Edited by Stuart Porteous
I'm back at uni (part time), working full time, and courting

Give up courting! Models 1st, women 2nd :wave:

Seriously, great looking kits. Good work!

That Italeri ex-F-4S; how did you convert it to an F-4J? I'm also doing that. I sandpapered the 'bump' on top of the outer slats but not sure what to do with the lower part (it has those slat actuator thingies at the bottom which the F-4J didn't). I've thought of filling it with putty & sanding it but I'm open to any tips.

Interesting about the Italeri... I'm guessing you did a wing-swap with another kit? Other than the wings, The fuselage on the Italeri could be passed for a J (at least, as much as the Italeri kit can be passed for ANYTHING).

They look great, can't wait to see them all finished!

Give up courting! Models 1st, women 2nd :rolleyes:

No chance, this one's a keeper. Not only is she seriously into steam trains (this aeroplane lark is my 'other' hobby) but she thinks models are cool. Weegie602 even managed to flog her a set of Airfix dinosaurs at Waddington this year !

Ah yes, the slats. Round blade in the Xacto knife took most of the slat actuator thingies off, files and sandpaper did the rest. I cut the leading edges off in line with the inner wings, then added a strip of 60th about 3mm wide, filed and sanded to shape once the cement had dried. Fill in all the gaps, sand smooth and rescribe to match the Fujimi kit. Probably not 100% correct but they both look the same (sort of) and I've given up looking for uber-accuracy anymore. Life is short and the stash is large. Then there's the model railway stash...

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Stuart.

Thanks Sean, I appreciate that.

Hopefully the Fujimi 'J' should be decalled tonight, that gives me two evenings to flat coat and do the final assembly before I have to get stuck into writing another essay. After that I'll get nothing done until Christmas !

Stuart.