"Cold Heat" soldering iron?

I keep seeing those infomercials for the "Cold Heat" soldering iron. Has anyone tried one? Do they actually work? If they worked as advertised, I wonder how they'd work for soldering photoetched parts together?

Curtis

I bought one for my father’s birthday earlier this year.

They do solder... but the tip is so cumbersome that I don’t imagine that one could use if for anything all that delicate. The soldering tip is approximately 1/8" in Ø.

The tip of the iron so to speak is split into 2 halves with a spacer between them. In order to achieve fusion of two pieces together, they both have to be touching the same part.

I’d recommend buying a cheap pen style soldering iron if portability and availability of electricity are not an issue.

:)

I was considering getting a Cold Heat soldering iron mainly because I don't relish the thought of getting burned. My dad used to do stained glass and I had one encounter with a hot soldering iron. Thanks for the Heads-up, Ross.

A friend of mine got one because he solders alot at work. He says the thing sucks. It will get hot, but with the large tip, getting it to touch two small things, like wire or an etch part, is next to impossible. I tried to (as the commercial says) fix a broken switch on my guitar, and it wouldnt heat the wires enough to melt the solder.

FWIW

Mike

Another vote for 'sucks' here...

One of the guys at work bought one and I tried it. I couldn't manage to get a good solder joint on either wire-to-wire or wire to a (pre-tinned) lug...

(We need a thumbs down smiley!) <_<

Another vote for 'sucks' here...

One of the guys at work bought one and I tried it. I couldn't manage to get a good solder joint on either wire-to-wire or wire to a (pre-tinned) lug...

(We need a thumbs down smiley!) <_<

anim_thumbs_down_smiley.gif

or one that fits our board. 4.gif

Edited by The_Animal
one that fits our board. 4.gif

I like it!!

How about it mods?

Can we add this one or do away with one of the less frequently used smileys (like this guy <_< )and add this one?

Edited by Zactoman
How does the thing work?

BJ

It's a miniature resistance soldering device. The tip is graphite and split into two halves. You touch it to the workpiece with both sides at the same time to complete the circuit between the two halves of the tip. The resistance of the graphite heats it. It's called "cold heat" because the tip isn't hot while idle. It only heats up when you touch the workpiece, and, when you lift it off and break the connection it's supposed to cool down in a couple of seconds.

I'm sorry to hear it doesn't work very well. I have one but only tried it out on a couple of pieces of wire to test it. It was a rough joint because I wasn't trying very hard for a nice one, but it seemed okay.

Edited by Grey Ghost 531

I got one a few months ago from Radio Shaft and it's not horrible (though it was annoying when the tip broke and I had to buy another). No, it's not the finest tool around, but I've found it to be sufficient for my needs and it has the great advantage of being cordless and safe.

My mother got one of them. She said it worked great when she tried it right out of the box. The second time she wanted to use it, the whole thing heated up in her hand and the batteries started leaking...and she couldn't turn it off...

She's calling for a refund this week.