Heads up for those building a 2 seater Corsair

That's the Maintrack conversion. If the 1/72 Maintrack TA-7C conversion is any indication, be prepared for a lot of putty work -- and you'll likely have to use the yellow canopy as a vacuform master.

Still, a lot less expensive than the RVHP fuselage.

Gene K

Ah, I knew I had a review somewhere...

In a review of the Maintrack conversion over at Modeling Madness, the reviewer states:

the thick, yellow canopy (...) is more than just the canopy, it is also the fuselage around the canopy, both on the sides and behind it.

My kits all came with nice, clear vacformed canopies that consist of just the main canopy, not anything around it, for use with the donor kit's windscreen.

In contrast with the review, my sets also came with decals (waterslide Indiana ANG for the A-7K and clearfix decals for VAQ-34 (two birds), NWTC and VA-174 for the TA-7C/EA-7L kit).

HTH!

Andre

Andre,

The yellow canopy I was referring to was in the 1/48 ebay item. The Maintrack 1/72 conversions that I have all have very clear vac canopies. Scott's Modeling Madness review is obviously for an earlier Maintrack 1/72 A-7 conversion (resin versus later plastic).

The Maintrack parts fit onto the 1/72 Fujimi kit is ...well... an exercise in patience, cutting, and filling. I'll be posting pictures of my A-7K progress - as soon as I finally blend-in the air refueling receptacle. Here are the Maintrack parts:

Gene K

Andre,

The way I solved the rear fuselage plug misfit was to cut the plug into quarters. I then build up the left side over a scale side view, and then build the right side against the completed left to ensure alignment. You can see the extent of the spacers required in the pic below (#1). Next time I'll try placing the plug further back.

I built the left side first since the Maintrack front was more "square" -- you can see in my first post how badly the right front is off in the vertical joint. Number 2 in the photo below shows the correction required.

The biggest putty challenge will be on the top (#3), especially since the Maintrack canopy hump needs to be faired in and made flatter at the sides.

Looking forward to your pictures.

Gene K