My Bagram Discovery!

oh BTW: there is growing evidence that my theory that those MiG-17PFs were used in operational conversion training seems to be gathering weight:

with the Bagram exeption i have found evidence of two more mig-17PFs at Shindand and Herat area, alongside other 17s and MiG-15UTIs. The 355th BAP Which was responsible for training was based there so seems a logical conclusion, and Also fits nicely into the DRAAF pattern.

Raymond,

Just a few thoughts.......

First up: a friend sent me this: its a taliban roundell on an Il-28 At Shindand. Not the greatest photo, but interesting in that it means Afghan Il-28s were still flying combat sorties in the late 1990s!!! :0

It just means the airframes were complete and maybe servicable so new marking were applied, it does not proove that they were infact operational or flying combat sorties.

Here ive taken snippets from 3 differnt photos i have: some MiG-21PFs at Bagram in 1984....a 'Northern alliance' Machine......and what eventualy happned to it (interesting to see the sand camo underneath)

I don't think that underside camo is delibrete.

Is there any aircraft in particular you are on the look out for at the minute?

Edited by Mandrake

HIya!

lol cheers Jeff that coudl be the sad part though!, it is a pity that many of these wrecks have since been destroyed or scrapped.

The US air campain took out alot of complete but disabled aircraft esp in the south which was a pity & a bit of a waste in my oppinion (a mig-15UTI issnt exactly going to do alot in the air! :wacko: )

there still are/were a few mostly complete airframes around, certainly theres a massive pool of parts to draw from for restoration...prob is with the 'clean up' underway candidates will start to run short :D

It woudl be ausome if some airframes were sent to museums, some of the historys of the older airframes are amazing (having flown with 7 different afghan air forces thoughout its life!)

there still are some intact gate guardians around to enjoy :angry: ill put some pics up

regards

Raymond

Hiya Joe!

perhaps the word i shoudl have used is 'could" though I really doubt the taliban would paint roundals on a partially inoperational Aircraft

photo evidence seems to be that whats not usable was canibalised and left to rot.

there have been verbal acounts of taliban using bombers and it woudent suprise me, as the il-28 is a verry simple machine, there is an abundance of spare parts that coudl be used from the MiG-15/17s in the south, where there is quite a bit of evidence of canibalisation on mig-17 engines etc

this area was spared form alot of the intence infighting in the north and pictures from the mid 90s show the aircraft in the area to be in alot more airworthey condition than their northern counterparts, not to mention the outside support the taliban recieved or the partys they simply bought out.

...on the 21PFs I was meaning the origional Sand/brown camo that was painted over. images of camo'd Afghan 21PFs are verry rare so its quite nice to see the colour underneath after that horrid blue washed off it :D

as for images, im just searching for anything and everything :wacko:

regards

Raymond

here are some more pics

heratjet6fk.jpg

sukhoisu22m4kabul2002010du2tz.jpg

400662743xlgchkph7ng.jpg

Edited by Raymond
  • 2 months later...

hiya

just thought id update this thread! :D

been continuing my research on those wierd mig-17PFs and have found i have an obscure pic of the wing (form one of the origional photos i posted) while the valuable serial has been scribbled over <_< in the hires version of this shot i was able to make out the wing markings, which match...

afghanistan_var.jpg

dostum? :blink:

this certainly raises more questions than it answers. interestingly close up there dossnt seem to be any former markings underneath unlike other aquired AC (usualy roundels are poorly painted so u see 2-3 differnt makings on top of each other)

my hunch is these were aquired form another CIS state, probably another 'stan at somepoint in the early 1990s I can definatly say there not wearing the 60s or 80s insignias which i was expecting, sadly if I coudl see the serial I could probaby solve this in a few seconds! :lol:

If any service personel browsing this have pics featuring afghan aircraft I woudl really appreciate hearing from you :) alot fo my best finds and research have come from personel corrispondance, and its greatly appreciated.

Ill post some pics tommorow morning

regards

Raymond

Raymond,

I think this is the derelict Mi-24 at KAIA as posted earlier in this thread. I did not see any c/n on it but I didn't know where to look for it anyway. There was no dataplate in the front office.

Mi-24V 520966 107 Afghan Nat.Army-AC KBL late05 tailless, derelict

Also, the nat. markings on the Hinds had small versions of the tail number in the lower white part, e.g. 110 and 89.

These two are interesting. I saw then at KAIA earlier this year:

Mi-24P 3532433317101 111 Afghan Nat.Army-AF KBL late'05 ex Soviet AF "09", was East German based

Mi-24P 3532434318461 112 Afghan Nat.Army-AF KBL late'05 ex Soviet AF "04", was East German based

Regards,