DC-9 cut & shut shop

As I asked in the other thread, how did you keep the fuslage alignment correct?

Hi Ray,

I used 2 different methods, on the -10 series I cut sections out of the -30 fuselage at different points, when you join the fuselage parts together, the joints are staggered, rather like when laying bricks to make a wall, this method was definitely easier.

On the -50 I joined the surplus parts from the -10 kit into 2 fuselage plugs and then inserted them int the -30 fuselage that I had cut at one point forward of the wing and one behind the wing.

One of my kits was an older kit that included the passenger window strips, I overlapped each fuselage joint with one of these window strips, thereby maintaining the correct spacing for the windows.

Using poly cement on the window strips also allowed me a little bit of adjustment, it was then a matter of gap filling cyano and accelerator to give a firm joint, I then sanded down before each joint cured too long.

I am pleased with the result and when you put the -10 next to the-50 it looks a totally different plane, I have yet too fill the remaining windows on the -50, and am leaving the windows open on the -30.

I have a few more DC-9's in the stash and have some decals for a -41 of TOA Domestic Airlines, so I may yet do a bit more cutting and shutting.

You can't go wrong with a bit of destruction.

Thanks Ant,

I have a 767-300 and a few 737-800s I plan to do the same with. Though the cut out sections will not be used anywhere else.

I must try CA as a filler, I am still a bit hesitant to use it for larger areas, i suppose I am happy using Squdron and milliput at this stage.

How will you fill the open windows on the completed fuselage sections? Did you put some sort of tape or strip behind the openings, or will you use CA and accelerator?

:thumbsup:

Ray

Thanks Ant,

I have a 767-300 and a few 737-800s I plan to do the same with. Though the cut out sections will not be used anywhere else.

I must try CA as a filler, I am still a bit hesitant to use it for larger areas, i suppose I am happy using Squdron and milliput at this stage.

How will you fill the open windows on the completed fuselage sections? Did you put some sort of tape or strip behind the openings, or will you use CA and accelerator?

:lol:

Ray

Hi Ray,

I have a few 767's and 738's in my stash too, have decals for an Air Canada 767-200 and I also plan to tackle a 777-300 (in JAL markings just like this one), I thought the DC-9's were a nice economic way to start practicing the art of extended fuselages, but I have become fond of them (if you can become fond of a few pieces of plastic), who knows one day I might even try a A340-600 although that will mean increasing the wing chord too :banana: I think thats what I like about airliners there are so many conversion possibilities.

I have to admit I was wary of using CA as a filler too, but I'm a convert now, though I'm never without a bottle of debonder at hand :D.

I will probably fill the windows with green stuff, just slap it on, leave it cure good and proper for a few days and sand it back, if there are any pits left after that I find a thin smear of green stuff and liquid poly will do it.

Edited by Ant Phillips