airbrushes

Guest Doug R

You don't have to take it all apart.

After preliminary cleaning and back flushing solvent: Unscrew the back cover, loosen the needle retainer nut just a little bit, pull the needle out and clean it, then, take a good quality, non-shedding pipe cleaner and wet it with solvent and stick it in where the needle came out. Spin it around a little and then pull it back out, put the needle back in tighten the needle retainer nut and put the back cover back on. Spray a little more solvent through and it's done. If you're careful you can do that without disturbing the air button.

That's all I do unless I'm switching from metalic to non-metalic colors. If I'm doing that I tear it down and clean it out real good to avoid the glitter effect in my non-metalic finish.

I actually clean the WHOLE airbrush without disassembly.

HOW? :)

Simple: Go to your local hardware store and search for a stuff called carburetor cleaner; it comes in a spray can.

Use it out of the can into the airbrush and it will take everything out of it, lacquers, enamels, acrylics, dust, whatever!

Ricardo :P

Ricardo,

How do you get the carburetor cleaner into the airbrush? Do you stick the nozzle into where the color cup/bottle goes, or do you spray some into the color cup and then spray it, or some other method entirely?

All the above questions are assuming that you are using aerosol carburetor cleaner and not some other kind.

Thanks,

Greg

I clean mine by back flushing the left over paint by unscrewing the tip a few turns then i take the color cup off then i stick the whole tip into a jar ful of laquer thinner from home depot then i use a pippet from model masters to sqeeze laquer thinner into where the color cup goes then i open up the needle with the trigger(mind you turn off the air supply). then clean the color cup then run and blow one color cup of new laquer thinnner through the airbrush 3min top and its done with out taking it apart . then when i store the brush for more than a day it comes all apartand cleaned .