HALIFAX II: My Second Entry

I very likely wont finish this in time, but what the heck.

Earlier today I began building the Halifax MK II. No pics yet, as nothing significant has been done.

Originally I was going to enter it into the heavies GB and spruce it up with all kinds of details but then I realized how much I prefer OOB or almost OOB builds, so into the Matchbox GB it shall go.

The only "changes" include

1. a navigator's chart table and charts (this was done today)

2. Seat backs

3. Some odds&sods around the bombardier's compartment which included the two panels from the MKI nose cut out and glued here and the bomb sight surgically removed from the bombardier figure and glued to the couch.

4. I may etch in some engine grill detail when I get there.

Decals are for a Special OPS Mongrel MK II from the remnants of no.301sq involved in dropping supplies to A-K, resistance fighters in Poland in 1944.

should be a pleasing looking bird once done.

Pics whence the interior is done

To those who were offended by my whiff Russian Bucannear, concider this my penance build :D

The basic airframe is mostly glued together. The fit of the wings and horizontal stabs to the fuselage is ok, but the fuselage halves will need a good bit of filling and sanding. The seperate nose will need quite a bit of fudging to fit as well, but I need to drill in some holes first for the rebecca landing aids first.

This kit is about on par with the wellington in terms of quality, so im hoping a good finish will make it look like a miniature model and not a toy when it is finished, but so far all portents point to NO!

nbc7d0.jpg

I'll apply gobs of filler tonight before bed and then gingerly sand things throughout the week. Come back for more photos in a week or so

Nice going! :banana: Looking forward to seeing this one finished.

The colours of the plastic are the same colours used in the Lancaster and Spitfire that I'm doing for this GB :blink: how weird is that?!?!

These M'box Halibag's are getting rarer nowadays, just as well Revell plan to re-release this kit this year :P

(as a matter of fact I'm building the Airfix Halifax at the mo')

Regards,

Mike

To those who were offended by my whiff Russian Bucannear, concider this my penance build :crying:

Wasn't offended, I thought it was a hoot ! Especially the bit about dodgy Russian welding causing wide panel lines. :whistle:

I shall watch this with interest - when you've found all the pitfalls I'll start mine. How come Revell always re-release stuff just after I find the Matchbox one after months of searching ? 3 years I spent looking for a Victor, nearly as long for a Halifax.

Looks good so far...

Thanks for the comments Mike and Stuart. Stuart (a list of pitfalls follows)

Work progresses, all be it slowly.

The wings are pretty much ready for painting once I glue on the small intakes on the sides of each engine. They're a bit too toylike (even for matchbox) so I may drill out the faces - hence the delay. Fit on the gear and engine parts was good. I may just need a hint of filler. The irregular surfaces make them looked like dinged-up metal. I like that.

The fuselage too is getting closer to the painting stage. It required some filler but not as much as I expected. The bomb bay doors were troublesome and I needed to fill the bay with tissue so they had something supporting them as they dried. The Nose section fit is awful and with all the sanding I did there, well what little surface detail there was is all gone now. I still have some smoothing out of the fuselage to do and then I'll attach the clear bits which I have already masked.

The MAJOR pitfall thus far looks like the fit of the canopy glazing. This will require some fany filler-work to close the rather wide gap and not fuss up the clear bits at the same time. This will take some time to do, and I have other matters to attend to, so there probably wont be updates for some while. Wish me luck, I really hope to finish in time :worship:

• 3 weeks later...

DANG IT!

I ran into a snag on my build. The clear bits really fit badly and I have no idea what to use to plug the rather large gaps. I tried squadron green putty and when I began to sand it it caved in... D'OH!

also on the clear bit with the astrodome the frame lines that run fore to aft are crooked, they run at an angle. Can that be fixed?