First time Airliner post..

Hey fellas. I'm mostly a modeler of 1/48th modeler of everything from B-17s to F-16s, but figure this is the place to come for these questions. So.........

After getting some great pictures of SAM 28000 a couple weeks ago while on the DC ANG flightline and buying a great book on the history of Air Force One I started wondering about kits for these aircraft. I'd love to build these aircraft in 1/48th but just don't think there any kits avialable in that scale! I'm not kidding, if I could build a 1/48th 747 I would.....I have a 1/48th B-47 in my stash!! Anyway.....

What happened to the Heavy Kits website? A collection of 1/72 scale Air Force One aircraft would be impressive! They had a 72nd 747 on their site once.

I know Heller has a 72nd 707 series of kits. Is a VC-137 among them?

Are there any 1/72 Contsellations and/or DC-6s?

Thanks

Chappie

Yes HELLER has several models of both aircraft you mentioned in 1/72 scale.

CONSTELLATION:

L.049

L.749

L.1049G (Short Nose)

L.1049G "Super G" (Longer Radar Nose)

EC-121 "Warning Star" radar aircraft

C-121 cargo bird - this is the early version (L.049) with the short nose.

DOUGLAS DC-6:

The have one model of the DC-6B.

Hope this helps. <_<

Edited by Jester00

The Heller AF-1 VC-137 is no longer being produced. The AWACS version of the model is still available. The biggest problem with the AWACS is the fusalage doesn't have all the windows. You would have to cut the windows or make decal windows for it.

The only Connies available are from Heller and are versions of the L049 or

the C-121A (Short Nose)

The Heller DC6/C118 can be purchased at Squadron. http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=HR0315

All the Heller models are 1/72 scale.

I have a AF1 VC-137 in progress and discarded the kit decals, because the windows wouldn't line up. I masked the two blues and made custom decals for it .

I haven't seen a 1/48 B747 however I have a 1/144 scale B747 I plan to do in the AF1 scheme, with custom decals.

Good luck on your search for 1/48 scale aircraft to do the AF1 fleet.

I have a 1/48th B-47 in my stash!!

Chappie

Is that the Sanger kit? How is it? Thanks

Yuk

Yes, it is the Sanger kit. It looks very nice. I've never built a vac kit before, so I'm a little afraid of this kit. No decals though.

I'm hoping their 48th B-52 will be out this year.

Chappie

Edited by Chappie

Hey Chappie,

For decals, got to the AIRLINER CAFE at this link: http://airlinercafe.com/index.php

Up in the top right hand corner click on "KITS AND DECALS" and look up the specific aircraft you want. I put a bunch of stuff on kits and decals for the "Connie" in there but most are civilian aircraft.

The FOURM is also a very good place to pick up info - post your question over there as well.

As for 1/48 scale Boeing 747 - think that would be a MONSTER. About the biggest "Injection Molded" airliner kit I have seen is the OOP 1/72 scale Boeing 727-200 kit by KMC Models, the KC-135/C-135/E-3 kits put out by AMT & Heller and the Boeing B.307 Stratoliner/KC-97 kits. Anything bigger than that you are going to have to go with vaccu-formed kits.

Of the list above of 1/72 Heller "Connie's" - all but three of them are OOP but can be found on E-Bay and many pre-owned kit shops.

NOTE: On the newest L.1049G Super Constellation put out by Heller - This WILL NOT match any of the C-121's used by the US Military as it is the "Short Nose" version without the nose mounted radar. Make sure you get their "Super G" Constellation if you are making a military transport of the US VIP fleet.

<S>!

Edited by Jester00
As for 1/48 scale Boeing 747 - think that would be a MONSTER.

I know. Wouldn't that be awesome?! Check my math here. The -200B is 231ft 10in long, say 232ft. In 1/48th it would be 4.8ft long!! Am I right here? Wow. That would be sooo cool!

Chappie

If anyone knows where I can get custom fuselage titles, presidential seals and wing insignia for a 1/144 VC-25A (made from the 1/144 E-4B and engines from a RoG 747-400) and the 1/72 Heller VC-137, please let me know.

I will paint everything else and the flag decals for the tail are easy to come by, but I need the fuselage titles, off-color wing insignia and presidential seals.

-Mike

I would love a 1/72 AFO!!! But I would really love to do a 1/72 Shuttle Carrier with a shuttle on it!!!! That would be ultra cool.

Why not just make the SCA in 1/100? Get the Doyusha 1/100 747-100 and the Tamiya 1/100 Orbiter. You would need to scratchbuild the orbiter's rear aero fairing, the mounting points and the SCA's vertical fin tips, but DRAW decals makes a set of SCA markings in 1/100.

The Doyusha 747 and Tamiya Orbiter are nice, quality, injection molded kits, too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for that link, Terry.

-Mike

If you're interested in Air Force One models - I built a VC-9C AF1, from an Airfix DC-9 with Liveries Unlimited decals. This was featured in Fine Scale Modelling reager gallery a few years ago - and I'll put the picture here over the weekend.

Minicraft kit a C-32A (Boeing 757) AF1, which probably replaced the above. I used that kit as a basis (complete with wrong engines) for the Thomas Cook 757, which I've flown in on holiday.

Nice looking Jet there Tim! :thumbsup:

What did you use to paint the silver parts?

Thank-you Jester00.

The silver belly and leading edges are actually kitKat wrapper - shiny side out.

The white is Halfords Appliance White Gloss (aerosol acrylic fridge paint)

Grey underside is Humbrol longsinceforgottennumber.

Flaps are Humbrol Silver.

I used DC-9 corroguard panels for fixed surfaces of wings on this one