Need help with Phantom crew painting

Hi guys

Couple of quick Q’s about the Warriors F-4 Phantom Crewman set am working on. What would be the best Model Master color for the dark green jump suits. I’m thinking maybe Faded Olive Drab so it would contrast with the olive drab â€speed jeansâ€.

And in the set there is what appears to be a chute pack for each crewman. This “pack†is to be placed on the lower back from what I can tell from the box. Would F-4 crewmen use this since the chute is in the shell on top of the seat?

TIA

Brocky

Brocky,

What service: USAF, USN, other? And what period? It makes a difference.

Cheers,

Tom

Oops Sorry.

Must be getting older. I used to be able to multi-task 15 things with 8 screaming bosses!

Anyway they would be USMC c. 1972.

Brocky

Edited by BrockyTaz
And in the set there is what appears to be a chute pack for each crewman. This “pack†is to be placed on the lower back from what I can tell from the box. Would F-4 crewmen use this since the chute is in the shell on top of the seat?

TIA

Brocky

Some crewmembers carried lumbar pads which provided extra support to the lower back. Optional.

Gene K

Brocky,

I disagree on sage green, that would be USAF. USN/USMC flight suits were a darker, "greener" green than AF suits. One of the USAF SEA camoflage greens is a good match, but at the moment I can't remember which one, sorry! The G-suit would be a lighter OD, and somehat shiny, being nylon. The torso harness, was a sage green, as were the seat bealts and shoulder harnesses.

Cheers,

Tom, who was wearing all that stuff in 1972.

Thanx for the responses guys.

Tom,

After comparing all the different OD type greens in my paint drawer, I had decided on a slightly lightened shade of MM 1710 (FS 34079) Dark Green, which is the Darker green in the USAF SEA scheme! :D

Oh and thanx for the heads up on the harness. I was going to use Tamiya's suggestion of light gray, but now I'll dig up something for the sage green.

:cheers: