Maybe Alby or Cobrahistorian can answer this. I'm building the Army Spec Ops Blackhawk and want to put rocket pods on the ESSS pylon. Are those pods LAU 10's, or the type the Apache uses or are they one and the same? Also, is it a realistic loadout (on this Chopper in question) to have a fuel tank on each pylon, and a rack of Hellfires on one pylon and rocket pod on the other? I just thing Blackhawks with "stuff" hanging off the Esss looks awesome!

Sean,

The Black Hawk can carry the same rocket pod that is used by the Apache (M261 FFAR Pod). As far as a load out, the Black Hawk can carry all of the above, but operationally it isn't used by regular UH-60 units (maybe once in a while for proficiency purposes). The DAP version of the Black Hawk, which is flown by the 160th SOAR, usually has an M230 Chain Gun and M261 Rocket Pod on shortened ESSS pylons, and the cabin mounted miniguns in a fixed forward position. For more info, talk to ARC's resident Black Hawk pilot, CW3 Erick Swanberg. He can fill you in on anything I may have missed.

Edited by Alby Moore

Glad to help. One thing I need to amend. Regular units do make frequent use of the ESSS pylons and fuel tanks, but not ordnance (thought I would clear that up in case it didn't read right in my first reply).

Cheers,

Alby

Yep, Alby pretty much hit it on the head. The DAP is a pretty mean bird. Definitely the most heavily armed helo we have flying. Now during the OT&E phase of the Blackhawk's career they DID do weapons carriage trials (don't know if they actually fired anything) and I do have photos of -60s carrying 16 Hellfires.

Erick, you have anything on gunship -60s?

They're helo drab. Think of it as a reverse of the colors on a normal Black Hawk. Let me dig it up, I've got a file that can be downloaded and printed onto white decal film and used on the MH-60L kit