First few models in about 20 years

Hi, I discovered ARC having decided to search t'internet to see how my early attempts compared to other people's work.

Not having built a model kit since I was at school, I came across the hobby again by accident. A couple of months ago, having agreed to take my mum out to help her choose a new car, we were heading home (without finding a car of course!) and she asked me if I'd mind pulling into a large hobby store because she wanted something or other. Not wanting to be seen in the knitting department I went off to have a look at the large display of radio controlled cars and next to them was a row of various Airfix, Tamiya kits, etc - I'd not really seen or paid any attention to this type of thing for a very long time. After looking for a while, I thought I might get a couple of aircraft to see how they would turn out (I've worked as a graphic designer for the past 15 years, so the skills I've picked up might come in handy).

Anyway, the couple turned in to a handful as I picked up an Airfix 1/72 Hunter FGA9, F16A/B, FW190D, 1/48 Spitfire F22 and a Tamiya 1/72 Kawanishi Shiden, along with a load of various enamel and acrylic paints and other bits and bobs - a bit over the top for an impulse buy, but worth having a go I thought.

Over the past month or two I've built the kits and painted them by hand (I've just done them OOB and have not attempted any weathering yet) - not worth forking out for an airbrush at this stage. I've added a shot of the F16 as a test and will post others later, so please feel free to give any constructive criticism you might have.

Cheers, Rich.

Hiya Rich

Given the length of your hiatus, those have turned out really well, you've done a very neat and tidy build on them.

You seem to have paid attention to the basics - i.e. alignment and seams, and these are perhaps more important than a fancy-schmancy paint job.

The masking all looks well done with no bleed ot wibbly-wobbly bits; perhaps the only criticsm (and I'm being retentive here) is that the gray on the underside of the F-16 looks a bit too light!

Way to go, mate!

Cheers from NZ

Mike Aldridge

Thanks for the comments, guys. Much appreciated.

Mike, good spot on the F16. The instructions called for H127 for the underside. When I bought the paints, that colour was out of stock, so I had to use H147 with a Satin cote which turned out a bit lighter than I hoped, but looks greyer in real life than the photo.