Corsair training movie

Cool video. I wonder if any of my father's old training films are online. He made a number of them (USAAF) in 1943.

I noticed they showed the starter being primed. Instead of an electric started, the early Corsairs had a shot gun starter that used a blank shot gun shell. From what I heard, it was pretty unreliable and the ground crew frequently had to replace the shell so the pilot could make another attempt to start.

I think they went with an electric starter about half way through the F4U-1A production run.

Bill

Cool video. I wonder if any of my father's old training films are online. He made a number of them (USAAF) in 1943.

I noticed they showed the starter being primed. Instead of an electric started, the early Corsairs had a shot gun starter that used a blank shot gun shell. From what I heard, it was pretty unreliable and the ground crew frequently had to replace the shell so the pilot could make another attempt to start.

I think they went with an electric starter about half way through the F4U-1A production run.

Bill

Bill, I have rented this video and several others from NETFLIX. I cannot remember where they had them either in their millitary or documentary section, but I am sure that if you have NETFLIX, and do a search you will find them. I remember this video and one on the P-47 as well. Very neat stuff

Geoff

If anyone knows how to save this movie to a HD please let me know.

Gary, it should be as simple as pressing the download button, but you have to have the Google Video player already downloaded and installed (link ususally included on the right side). When you download the video it downloads a small link that you double click to play. it then downloads the entire video into your "my documents\My Videos\Google Videos" folder. This video was about 81 meg.

I also downloaded the P-47 training video... hehehe What shocked me was the difference in how the two planes stall. The P-47 is a nice gentle nose drop that the pilot easily recovers from, however the F-4U's left wing stalls first sending into a spiral dive. Talk about exciting! :-)

Percy