Need replacement canopy for Hasegawa 1/48 F-4J Kit

Hi guys. Well, this is my first airplane model and i screwed it up. I managed to ruin both the closed canopy and then the open canopy that came with the kit. I used superglue the first time and frosted the closed canopy. I thought i learned from my mistake and used Tenax on the open canopy. When i was pushing down on the top of the back canopy a finger print got etched into the glass area and i could not get it out by sanding.

Two questions:

1. Does anyone have a spare closed canopy for this kit? Ill give you a few dollars for it and pay for shipping.

2. If not, does anyone know where i can find this piece online? I checked Hobby-link Japan and Hasegawa's website with no luck.

Any help would be much appreciated, i cant beleive i managed to screw both of them up. Now i need to go research what the hell i did wrong and figure out how not to ruin the next canopy :banana:

If you Future the canopy you shouldn't have any problems with frosting from CA fumes the next time. That's one of the things that Future is great for. Also I wouldn't suggest using Tenax or anything like that to attach your canopies. Elmers white glue is much better and much more forgiving in these situations. Unfortunately I don't have a spare canopy as I used the closed one on my F-4J as a paint mask for the cockpit, but hopefully someone will be able to help you out.

Edited by David Walker

Thanks David. I have a partially built Revel Strike Eagle on my bench because i screwed up the canopy trying to future it. It had tons of runs and streaks. Looks like i really suck at canopies. Heck tonight, im really close to just throwing them both in the trash and going back to building armor. No stupid clear plastic to screw up there. :blink: So far i tryed building two airplanes and i managed to screw up 3 canopies and i havent even tried to paint yet. :cheers:

Edited by D.Lesko

The easiest way to handle the canopies is to dip them in a bowl of Future, wick off the excess by allowing one end of the canopy to touch a paper towel and then put the canopy under a bowl to dry overnight. (so dust can't settle on it) Using that method I've never had a problem with runs or streaks.

......back to the top.

Come on guys :rolleyes:, i need help. I wont be able to finish this kit without this piece. Where can i buy a new one or does someone have a spare they are willing to part with? Thanks.