i did some reading on the spad in the last 2 weeks and started fiddling round the cockpit with dry fitting and stuff. it is very interesting read on skyraider modus operandi.

i got the cutting edge A-1H/J detail set with the whole tub, instruments, seat, PE pedals and side wall details. the kit is popular 1/48 tamiya A-1J that i got about 4-5 years back.

the fitting on the side wall details require removing all the details from the original kit. it seems the need to shave off or thin the wall quite a bit too. any experience to advise please?

i will stick to the SEA camo scheme as part of my current theme. i have not decided on the marking yet. i prefer a USAF marking but nothing stands out particularly. i kind of like the VNAF marking from Eagle Strike 48-067 with the chinese character or tiger motiff. any advise on these decals?

the fitting on the side wall details require removing all the details from the original kit. it seems the need to shave off or thin the wall quite a bit too. any experience to advise please?

i will stick to the SEA camo scheme as part of my current theme. i have not decided on the marking yet. i prefer a USAF marking but nothing stands out particularly. i kind of like the VNAF marking from Eagle Strike 48-067 with the chinese character or tiger motiff. any advise on these decals?

I also had to shave off the kit side walls to make the details fit. Personally, if I had to do it over, I'd leave the side wall details off because it is nearly impossible to see there once the fuselage glued in.

I'd stay away from that vnaf marking - due to the inaccuracies. First off is the dragon head logo on the fuselage - one of them is facing the wrong way, I think the left side. Plus, they're way too small.

Regards

thanks for the advise Triet...

your focus on skyraider is quite amazing and always enjoy your build and writeup.

quite agree with the little view on the cockpit details. seems like the cockpit entrance is very small hence restricting the view, compared to modern planes.

so what decal is recommended for SEA camo?

thanks for the advise Triet...

your focus on skyraider is quite amazing and always enjoy your build and writeup.

quite agree with the little view on the cockpit details. seems like the cockpit entrance is very small hence restricting the view, compared to modern planes.

so what decal is recommended for SEA camo?

Well Kace, if you want to stick with the SEA camo, the USAF decals are more easily available than the VNAF decals. Aeromasters did a bunch of VN war Skyraiders with USAF markings. Cutting Edge did a sheet with VNAF markings. I used this in the past, and it is accurate. But I found the decals tends to crack easily if you are not careful.

finally got an aftermarket decal from the local hobby shop... it is good to support the local shops and shopping in the traditional way. touch it, take a close look at it... hold it and decide which one.

it is funny because i finally got the vietnam warriors pt 1 with F-4E JV-308 "Betty Lou" and TC-609 "Good Buddha". having completed betty lou earlier but in 1/32 scale. i was referencing - tri-color band with another build from this decal set. :)

maybe toying with the idea of shark mouth skyraider... hee...hee...

• 2 weeks later...

had a serious accident... on the wings. tried making the dihedral more obvious but it back fired. what i did was to heat and reshaped the angle using a candle. it has gone bad... the edge has melted and some details are gone!!!

now i am in some shock state trying to recompose myself before moving on to the recovery.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like you're on your way to a good recovery Kace. I think it's salvageable with a little bondo and elbow grease. What I do about the dihedral angle problem is just sand off the top wing root a little. This creates a gap between the wing and fuselage. When you close in the gap, the wing angle will bend up, giving you a proper dihedral.

Regards

Triet

Come on Kace! You can get it done.

The "this seems like a good idea" method of fixing kits might make for a few problems, but sometimes lets you find a new and better way of getting things done. I had no idea that the wing angle was off and did nothing to correct mine.

It's looking good anyway, and you will have construction finished in no time at all!

Trent