Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

trietmcam

Members
  • Content Count

    423
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About trietmcam

  • Rank
    Tenax Sniffer (Open a window!)

Recent Profile Visitors

4,158 profile views
  1. Dutch and Shultz, thanks for your comments. The instrument panel came from the now defunct Cobra resin set. The surface had to be sanded smooth, had a lot of grains. I used Mike Grant instrument decals gauges for the individual locations. One caution, the 2 side consoles had to be sanded down and so did the 2 seats in order to fit the cockpit. The True Details seats were actually designed for the single seat fighter version. I think they were wider than the E version. So had to be sanded down to fit. The way I did it was sand down the seats, side consoles, then lots of trials fitting to see if the cockpit assembly fit to the fuselage. This is the most complicated task of the build because there is no reference point for the cockpit placement to the fuselage. The instrument panel and coaming can be added later. The coaming doesn't fit very well, so required some sanding and trimming. If the cockpit position is off, the bulkhead wall behind the seat is off and the canopy wont fit later. Fitting the cockpit task nearly broke me, so patience is a requirement here. The front wheels came from the KMC cockpit sets, but you can use the Aries set as well. I compared them to reference pics, and seems pretty good. The rear wheel came from the Quickboost. It's the only ones out there if you want to make it a pneumatic inflated wheel version, which was predominantly used on land base operation in VN. Regards Triet
  2. Long over due thank you for everyone's comment. I haven't checked in awhile Regards TrietCam
  3. Absolute stellar builds. Your attention to details is astounding. Thanks for showing 11bee
  4. External close ups. The side mirrors are from Eduards PE sets. They look pretty real ] That's all folks. Regards Triet cam
  5. One final update, I added the walk ways after someone pointed out. I had totally forgotten. I sprayed very dark gray, and left off some spots to get that worn out look.
  6. Here's the real thing in 1970. It's actually an A-1G. From exterior, there were no differences between the E and G. The G version were more dedicated to night operations. Many of the South Vietnamese two seaters were actually the G version minus night time radar equipment in the back. Probably had no usage purposes in Vietnam. Record showed this aircraft was lost in Feb/02/1972, no indication where. Checking with sources who knew think it was shot down over the battle of Kontum in Region II. It was downed while returing home from mission. It was later learned that it was hit by a missile. That caught many by surprise, since the NVA didn't operate missiles that far deep in South Vietnam. Turned out they had deployed new shoulder fired missiles, the SA-7 in all of the South. This Skyraider was probably the first one on the receiving end. The pilot ejected out, but was hit by relentless machine guns from the ground.
  7. Overall view. Summarize the build: The model was kit bashed with the Monogram wings, and tailpanes. I mate along the lower side of the fuselage, to minimized fillers and sanding as much as possible. It's still a lot of work involved though. Other modelers tried to use as much of the donor kit as possible (ie. Tamiya) by joining the two higher up. I saw this could have some potential difficulty fitting in the cockpit floor, if it's not done right. There were a lot of work mating in the resin nose/engine set. The fuselage diameter had to be adjusted to fit the nose end. Plus the angle of the nose had to be shimmed to get it to sit to correct position. All in all, a tough build. No wonder there aren't many build posted. The old Matchbox A-1E can be brought to a higher standard, but it's going to involve perseverance to get through. I pretty satisfied at the end. Thanks to those who paved the way before.
  8. I wasn't totally ok with the canopy. Both the kit's and the vac form were off, but I made best with what was available. I added Archer raised rivets around the framing. Yeah, it's supposed to be flushed rivets in the real thing, but still better than nothing there. The lights are from MV Products, 3.3mm clear lense. Exceelent product, too bad they no longer exists. The red bar (coke can) next to the cannons is the wing fold indicator. They extend when the wings are folded, and retract flush when wings are extended.
  9. I've crossed the line - the finish line. Just shoot some overall pics.
  10. If I read your post right, yeah I don't make it supper flat finish either. It doesnt seem to look right. I tend to keep it satin like finish. What I do is go 50% flat, 50% thinner. That way the gloss coat underneath can shine through a little bit.
  11. Seems like the goal line keeps moving away as I get closer. Still working on the side canopy, as well as weathering. I replaced the canopy with a vac form. It is a little flatter at the center support bar, which is correct. It's still not 100% correct though, because the side profile is a little flat when it should be more of an oval bulge like the real thing. It still need to get evenly distributed dirtiness at the bottom. But other than that, it's getting closer to the goal line.
  12. I hear ya. Same here. I kept procrastinating and by the time I was ready, it was too late. I actually was planning on mating the ZM A-1 since it was more accurate in many ways. Hopefully one day his business is back up. Cheers
  13. Yes, I used Tamiya panel line wash. I mixed black and brown to get the dark brown finish. The stuff is great. Cheers
×
×
  • Create New...