Weathering over MM enamels...

Hi i searched and i still cant get a straight answer...

I will be painting my Flanker with model master enamels. i then would like to weather it using some type of wash that will flow and settle in the panel lines. I know i cannot use an enamel wash as the thinner will eat through the paint. I was thinking of using a clear coat but an enamel wash would also eat through the coat no? Please help? thanks in advance...

Use an acrylic gloss such as "Future" or any good acrylic based clear finish and let it cure at least 48hrs.

Also make sure that the enamel paints are cured before applying the acrylic coats so that it does not crack.

HTH

Mark

I use MM enamels with a coat of Humbrol gloss cote. Then I use a turpenoid / artist oils (mostly turpenoid)

mix to flow thru the panel lines. Turpenoid is less hot than regular turps...should be available in an artists

supply store. There's a type of turpenoid used to condition old brushes....avoid it, it's to thick to work with

You can also try a 'sludge wash'...mix acrylic paint, water and dish soap...apply, wait a bit and remove excess

with a damp cloth or Q-tip. This technique also requires a gloss coat though.

Turpenoid is synthetic turpentine as far as I know. It's colourless and odourless and not as 'hot' as regular

turpentine. Get a hold of some good quality artist oil paint (in the tube) from an art supply store. Don't

skimp here...one tube will last a long time so get the good stuff (stay away from 'student' types)

Mix a small 'clump' of the paint with a _lot_ of thinner so that you essentially have coloured thinner. This

should run along your panel lines just nicely assuming you've laid down a good gloss coat (future or

other). Anything that spills out of the panel line can be cleaned up with a damp tissue or cotton bud

(Q-tip) since it's so thin. If you manage to 'clean up' your panel line too much, just try it again.

The 3 main colours you will ever need are black, burnt umber and burnt sienna. Some folks pick up a grey

and white tube too.

As I think I mentioned...make sure you get the right turpenoid. Here in Canada it's sold in a blue and white

can...but I also bought a (green) can of stuff called 'turpenoid' and it was as thick as motor oil. Not the right stuff

for sure. The stuff you need is like water.

This stuff will take a fair amount of time to dry too....especially if you try it over a natural metal finish!

For extra information: I use this same method for washes in cockpits and wheel wells etc. I do not use

a barrier (gloss coat) when I do this and it works fine over Model Master Enamels ..... if they have dried

for a day or 2. Once again, the weakness of the turpenoid helps out here.

:wacko:

Turpenoid is synthetic turpentine as far as I know. It's colourless and odourless and not as 'hot' as regular

turpentine. Get a hold of some good quality artist oil paint (in the tube) from an art supply store. Don't

skimp here...one tube will last a long time so get the good stuff (stay away from 'student' types)

Mix a small 'clump' of the paint with a _lot_ of thinner so that you essentially have coloured thinner. This

should run along your panel lines just nicely assuming you've laid down a good gloss coat (future or

other). Anything that spills out of the panel line can be cleaned up with a damp tissue or cotton bud

(Q-tip) since it's so thin. If you manage to 'clean up' your panel line too much, just try it again.

The 3 main colours you will ever need are black, burnt umber and burnt sienna. Some folks pick up a grey

and white tube too.

As I think I mentioned...make sure you get the right turpenoid. Here in Canada it's sold in a blue and white

can...but I also bought a (green) can of stuff called 'turpenoid' and it was as thick as motor oil. Not the right stuff

for sure. The stuff you need is like water.

This stuff will take a fair amount of time to dry too....especially if you try it over a natural metal finish!

For extra information: I use this same method for washes in cockpits and wheel wells etc. I do not use

a barrier (gloss coat) when I do this and it works fine over Model Master Enamels ..... if they have dried

for a day or 2. Once again, the weakness of the turpenoid helps out here.

:D

sorry im still alittle confused... when you say THINNER as in "Mix a small 'clump' of the paint with a _lot_ of thinner...", by thinner you mean the turpenoid, right???? thanks again

oh and also this should be applied AFTER the decals are applied and set under a gloss coat, right??? or should i gloss, decal, and then apply the wash without sealing the decals, and THEN seal the wash???? does it matter with what type of clear coat i seal the turpenoid wash???? i will be using the polyscale flat clear coat.

yes, sorry for the confusion :D

no please, thank you very much, ill try it as soon as i am at that point. I just glued, filled and sanded the fuselage, nosecone and wings... so i still have to glue the stabilizers, canopy and pilons, then primer, then paint.... THEN wash.

oh and also this should be applied AFTER the decals are applied and set under a gloss coat, right??? or should i gloss, decal, and then apply the wash without sealing the decals, and THEN seal the wash???? does it matter with what type of clear coat i seal the turpenoid wash???? i will be using the polyscale flat clear coat.

The classic pattern is

prime

pre-shade (if you like the effect and the colour is light)

paint

post-fade (for darker colours)

gloss

decal

(optional) gloss to seal decals (I don't since I flat coat later on)

wash

flat coat

pastels (stick better to flat)

(optional) flat to seal (but can easily blow off your pastel work :blink:)

I don't do the 'optionals'...as you can see there are enough steps in the process already :rofl:

Edited by ThatJeffGuy
The classic pattern is

prime

pre-shade (if you like the effect and the colour is light)

paint

post-fade (for darker colours)

gloss

decal

(optional) gloss to seal decals (I don't since I flat coat later on)

wash

flat coat

pastels (stick better to flat)

(optional) flat to seal (but can easily blow off your pastel work :))

I don't do the 'optionals'...as you can see there are enough steps in the process already :)

cool thanks... so i guess it doesnt matter what TYPE of coats i use... meaning if im painting with MM enamels then ill stick with enamel coats also...

I use MM enamels with a coat of Humbrol gloss cote. Then I use a turpenoid / artist oils (mostly turpenoid)

mix to flow thru the panel lines. Turpenoid is less hot than regular turps...should be available in an artists

supply store. There's a type of turpenoid used to condition old brushes....avoid it, it's to thick to work with

I use this also but use Humbrol dull coat not gloss. Then wipe the excess off with a kleenex dampend with turps. You end up with a kind of preshaded look to the panel lines.