Grumman Americans Park Here

:D, G'ay Barney,

I wondered how long it would take you to find this thread and post some pics of your beloved Alley Cat. It's a credit to you mate and thanks for sharing with us.

Damo,

I almost got to fly a Cougar back in 1980. I had it booked to start my twin conversion on a Saturday. On the Wednesday afternoon two instructors wrote her off. They were doing asymmetric touch and gos at Aeropelican when the good engine decided "I've had enough of this nonsense, I quit." They couldn't get power back onto the other engine quick enough to prevent a crash landing and almost took out a tall truck as they crossed the Pacific Highway at Belmont. They crash landed on the golf course across the highway.

:D,

Ross.

There was one at Cessnock - VH-UNP I think it was - that was doing night circuits with an instructor and student pilot, and another student in the back seat. It lost an engine shortly after a touch and go, and couldn't maintain altitude on one engine. The resulting crash saw all three in hospital, with the back-seater ending up in a wheelchair for about 6 months. Thankfully they all eventually recovered - in fact, the instructor ended up doing my PPL test.

The single engine performance of the Cougar with any sort of load was pretty average at best - there were some additional weight restrictions when flying IFR due to its SE performance. IIRC they had 150HP/side and there were rumours of a version with 160HP engines if production re-commenced. *insert bog standard disclaimer about accuracy here*

:D G'day Damo. I doubt that an extra 10 horse per side would have made much difference, especially with an engine out. It's interesting that when it was found out what those 2 instructors were doing they were soon looking for other jobs. I didn't hear any more about them after that, but when I went out to Aeropelican that Saturday they were no longer employed there.

:salute:,

Ross.

• 2 years later...