Supermarine Spitfire PR Mk. X

Will be build OOB as usual.

Just don't paint it Pink. None of the PR.Xs were Pink. Oh there are some paintings and some profiles of Pink PR.Xs, just no evidence or eyewitness corroboration to back them up. PR.Xs were pressurized and meant for use at high altitude. PRU Pink was intended for low level sorties.

Hi Touvdal,

I believe Wally is indeed right. The only 'pink' Spitfires I have seen are Spitfire FRIX or more commonly PR Mk. IXs and actually had D-Day stripes under the fuselage roundels and heavy staining around the the forward fuselage in front of the canopy. They were operated by no. 16 Sqn (RAF). I have two (2) pictures in a book on Spitfires just after D-Day. I too have never seen a pink Mk. X. I'm wondering whether your kit has the alternative tail that will bring it back to Mk. IX specs so that you can do the right a/c. If you want pics I can scan the images for you if you want to send me a P/M.

Regards

Andrew

Jes,

May I suggest that you do what I did and Google 'pink Spitfires'. There are a number of different sites that have reference to them. That site link I posted just happened to confirm that there were pink Mk. X Spits. Does the ARC gallery have any references?

Regards

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Doppel

Well i found this site, as it says only 16 build so it will be hard to find pitures.

http://www.airrecce.co.uk/WW2/recce_ac/RAFAR.html

t_spit_pr_mk10_657.jpg

t_spit10_169.jpg

And there is a photo of af Mk. X, But is it blue or Pink, I think Pink as it is a very light color.

and profile based on this photo

t_spit_pr10_203.jpg

Color slide of pink Spit, but very fainted.

scan0005.jpg

Also found a finished model in Pink.

FRIXleftrearN.jpg

So I think based on this I think that the evidence will hold i court, I will paint it pink.

cheers

Jes

The model was just for the color reference, not the type, sorry if that was not clear.

cheers

Jes

I think the second picture is of FR.IX Spitfires, definately pink but armed and used exclusively for low level recon ops usually at dawn or dusk, hence the pink colour. The first picture is a PR.X which could be faided blue or pink but I think PRU blue.

At the end of the day it is up to you and the pink looks really nice! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Almost finished for the paint job, I have got some help at the britmodeller site, so color scheme is decided to be.

"Colours, look closely at photos, you can see colour difference on engine cowling. Medium Sea Grey above and PRU Blue beneath. Which matches with High Altitude scheme of that time...!"

recon15.jpg

cheers

Jes

Looking really good Jes. Nice clean lines. I like the light grey over PRU scheme, it looks strangely modern to me.

I have an MPM PR Mk. XI in my stash to build up as a Danish example.

Keep the pictures coming. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

there was no serius problems, fit was ok for a short run set, and not that many part, but nice resin parts for extra loopes in defferent places.

easy build, then I build OOB, so some will say that it will need this and that.

cheers

Jes