Soko J-22 Orao -AEROPOXY resin 1/72-Build photo story

Its time to build Soko J-22 Orao kit for my collection, so, i took the kit and camera and start modeling and shooting, here is the Orao 1/72 scale resin kit build photo story,

Box Art,

Orao-Aeropoxy_01_resize.jpg

Box contents, what you get , resin kit parts, decals,vacformed canopy (two) canopy frame masks, 4 page A4 build instructions,multimedia CD rom with 1000+ Soko Orao pics, drawings, schemes and relevant documentation.

Orao-Aeropoxy_02_resize.jpg

Fuselage sides sanded, just to gain proper alignment,

Orao-Aeropoxy_03_resize.jpg

I do some accuracy checks, using drawings made by VTI (Aviation Technical Institute-Belgrade , Orao project construction burreau) .

Orao-Aeropoxy_04_resize.jpg

Orao-Aeropoxy_05_resize.jpg

Edited by SuperCuber

I chose this Orao scheme, serialed 25207, with heavily weared paint scheme, "Pepsi" style Yugoslav markings, prior the plane is overhauled and repainted in new, black&white display "Penguin" scheme.

Standard, Medium Gray/Green/Light blue scheme is patched with darker green and dark Gray on topsides and brown patches on undersides, giving the unusual look of this ORAO jet.

Few views of chosen scheme,

25207-dole-_resize.jpg

25207-gore-pepsi_resize.jpg

25207-levo-2_resize.jpg

25207-desno_resize.jpg

25207-kosovski_resize.jpg

(photo credits, various internet sources)

Edited by SuperCuber

Another 3 hours of work, total 6 hrs, rescribing lost panel lines, some gaps filled and polished, superglue used as filler, temporary assembly for photographing and checking over the scale drawings,

Orao-Aeropoxy_18_resize.jpg

Orao-Aeropoxy_17_resize.jpg

Orao-Aeropoxy_16_resize.jpg

Orao-Aeropoxy_15_resize.jpg

Orao-Aeropoxy_14_resize.jpg

Orao-Aeropoxy_13_resize.jpg

Edited by SuperCuber

Main Orao airframe assembled, and sprayed with coat of gray paint, to show all the mistakes and errors, which could be solved later,

Orao-Aeropoxy_25_resize.jpg

Orao-Aeropoxy_24_resize.jpg

Orao-Aeropoxy_23_resize.jpg

Orao-Aeropoxy_22_resize.jpg

Orao-Aeropoxy_21_resize.jpg

Orao-Aeropoxy_20_resize.jpg

Orao-Aeropoxy_19_resize.jpg

Decal sets overview, first, white 101, from discontinued first batch of some 30 Orao kits.

Second, Pepsi style Yugoslav AF markings for 4+ Orao planes, packed with current Orao kit.

Third, Lift Here extra set for IAR 93 Vultur & two J-22 Orao kits, will be available with new, retooled Orao kit, in limited edition.

Orao-Aeropoxy_26_resize.jpg

Edited by SuperCuber

Todays small update, kit is polished, rescribed some panel lines and primed with car bumpers plastic primer, great paint, strong, good adhesion to resin, easy to polishing and even fine scribing.

Its now ready for paintwork and detailing.

Orao_Aeropoxy_29.jpg

Orao_Aeropoxy_28.jpg

Orao_Aeropoxy_27.jpg

Kenda Kar spray, plastic primer for car bumpers, recomended.

PlasticSpray_resize.jpg

Edited by SuperCuber

This weekend update, again polished whole airframe, glued ventral fins, underwing pylons, pitot tube( steel wire 0,5mm), wing aerodynamic fences,

and painted cockpit , ejection seat and wheels.

Orao_AEROPOXY_30_resize.jpg

Orao_AEROPOXY_31_resize.jpg

Some work in cockpit, instro panel ( decal ), seat belts and details added, acetate foil head up display glued, thin wire canopy defrosting tube glued.

Orao_AEROPOXY_32_resize.jpg

Orao_AEROPOXY_33_resize.jpg

Orao_AEROPOXY_34_resize.jpg

Orao_AEROPOXY_35_resize.jpg

Acetate cockpit canopy, two included, and die cut self adhesive canopy frames (two), cut and trim canopy frame with ease.

Orao_AEROPOXY_36_resize.jpg

Canopy frame cutting guiding lines are not visible on photo, and i do some drawings in Corel, to show where i cut the canopy.

Orao_Aeropoxy_37a_resize.jpg

Canopy was positioned and secured with few masking film stripes, and glued with two component epoxy glue.

Orao_AEROPOXY_38_resize.jpg

Orao_AEROPOXY_39_resize.jpg

To be continued,

Edited by SuperCuber

Today's progress report,

Cool Frame, self adhesive canopy frame applied.

Orao_AEROPOXY_43_resize.jpg

Orao_AEROPOXY_42_resize.jpg

Orao_AEROPOXY_40_resize.jpg

And sealed with gloss clear varnish.

Orao_AEROPOXY_45_resize.jpg

Canopy is masked and ORAO goes to paintshop...

Orao_AEROPOXY_46_resize.jpg

I chose nearest shade of paint, according to my paint chip documentation, photos and real Orao plane paint samples.

Note, due the flash and still wet coat of gloss varnish, model photos does not represent real colours.

Orao_AEROPOXY_51_resize.jpg

Orao_AEROPOXY_50_resize.jpg

Orao_AEROPOXY_49_resize.jpg

Orao_AEROPOXY_48_resize.jpg

Orao_AEROPOXY_47_resize.jpg

I use next paints for this, faded Orao plane,

Original Faded Gray, FS 36118, Revell 57 RAL 7000 with a drop of black.

Original Faded Green FS 34079, Revell 363 RAL 6020

Original Light Blue Gray undersides, , mix Hu-124 i HU 157 with a bit of white.

Dark Green, fresh paint patches, Revell 48 RAL 6028

Dark Gray ,fresh paint patches , Revell 79 RAL 7031

Edited by SuperCuber

Thx Dragan,

Hope you will build better Orao than first one, which is, anyway quite good build for your first resin kit build.

Todays update, just one hour of work, red exhaust cowling airbrushed, black dielectric panels on vertical tail and under the nose painted, canopy frames painted, white ADF antena painted, pitot tube painted and whole airframe oversprayed with highly diluted white paint, to give faded paint effect and later, sprayed with Pronto (Future) coat, to prepare surface for decaling, later tonoght.

Orao_AEROPOXY_52_resize.jpg

Orao_AEROPOXY_53_resize.jpg

Orao_AEROPOXY_54_resize.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Just a short note to reply to the SOKO J-22 Orao from AEROPOXY in 1/72 scale... Man it looks great. I am Building a 1/48th scale NJ-22 two place all solid wood model. I will attach a picture; if I can figure out how to do that. I am new to these Blog things so bear with me if I mess up. I can't put the detail in the model as you have in the Resin kit that you have, so it's more for a desk type or Factory type presentation. Anyway your J-22 looks great keep up the fine work