Blackburn Buccaneer XV352 - 1977 Red Flag

I'm just finishing off another build, then I am going to get started with this, (part of a groupbuild on Britmodeller).

I'm going to be using the Airfix kit, Model Alliance decals, Heritage Aviation intakes, Eduard interior and exterior PE, and Paragon seats.

The scheme is the one used in the 1977 Red Flag exercises and can be seen here:

http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/S2_XV...S2_XV160-2.html

Here is a pic or all the bits before I get started:

dscf1897z.jpg

That's a super choice of scheme for your Brick TOM4ever :doh:

I can remember BBC footage of an RAF Buccaneer at Red flag (probably from around this date) running in under the tops of the dunes. The US ground troops on the A2G weapons platforms gave up trying to track the Buccs and just stood there whooping and hollering as the aircraft blew past their heads........made me feel very proud! :wub:

I look forward to seeing how your Buccaneer turns out. :)

:cheers:

I'm looking forward to this one too, Tom. It's gonna look good in that desert camo. One of my fondest airshow memories was a Buccaneer arriving at RAF Mildenhall in the 80s. It flew full pelt down the runway about a metre off the ground with its gear up. Awesome!

Good luck with your build!

Ian

• 4 months later...

Ok, I didn't do so well at the 'in progress' part of this one. I'm now about 99% through this one.

When I took off the masking over the canopy yesterday disaster struck! It seems somehow some future managed to sneak it through a gap somewhere and has fogged up the inside, if I remove the canopy is there a way of fixing this? I don't know how visible it is from these pics. This is where I am at right now:

DSCF2027.jpg

DSCF2026.jpg

DSCF2025.jpg

DSCF2023.jpg

Any tips on solving the canopy issue would be great!

Hello, if you give the canopy an alcohol bath (put it in alcohol and clean it with a thick brush), the future should come off. You will probably be back to square one though as the paint will likely come off as well. Then, you may have to go through the usual steps of future dip (if you do this), masking, painting etc. Not sure if you are looking for a quick fix but at least that what I'd do. Hope it helps.

Future shouldn't have fogged the canopy. CA glue would though. If the fumes get trapped inside and you didn't pre-soak in Future, that happens. Remove, strip and recoat with Future. Then repaint.

Looks great though. I like the wearing areas where the underpaint shows through.

-Jeff

Hello, if you give the canopy an alcohol bath (put it in alcohol and clean it with a thick brush), the future should come off. You will probably be back to square one though as the paint will likely come off as well. Then, you may have to go through the usual steps of future dip (if you do this), masking, painting etc. Not sure if you are looking for a quick fix but at least that what I'd do. Hope it helps.

Thanks, I think I will have to remove both parts and start again with them. Though trying to remove them will no doubt be an interesting experience!

Future shouldn't have fogged the canopy. CA glue would though. If the fumes get trapped inside and you didn't pre-soak in Future, that happens. Remove, strip and recoat with Future. Then repaint.

Looks great though. I like the wearing areas where the underpaint shows through.

-Jeff

I did a flat coat with Tamiya flat in the Future mix, so could that have caused the whiteish clouding? I'm fairly sure it wasn't the glue, as I didn't mask it up until after I'd attached the canopy, and it looked fine once it had been left to set, and I gave both parts a Future dip before working on them.

Yes, flat coat will cause it to do that also. I've had some problems when I used Tamiya flat and didn't mix in enough Future.

To fix that, you'll need to strip off the coating and then reapply.

Good luck!

-Jeff