Academy 1/48 F-14A 'Bombcat'

Hello all,

Here is my 4th and last build of 2010, the Academy 1/48 F-14A 'Bombcat'. I bought this kit almost 1 year ago and only started early last month. It's a bad kit I must say with horrendous fitting at the forward fuselage and wheel well not aligning well hence I opted for this in-flight model. Decal sheet wasn't that good either with some serious silvering on the larger decals. The weapons were nice though.

Overall, I'm proud with the way this Tomcat turned out. Not bad I must say for my first Navy bird in 8 years! :D It was weathered entirely with pencil dust! No airbrushing involved to get the effect you'll see.

I hope you'll enjoy looking at the pictures.

CIMG3034.jpg

CIMG3035.jpg

CIMG3036.jpg

CIMG3038.jpg

CIMG3039.jpg

CIMG3040.jpg

CIMG3042.jpg

CIMG3043.jpg

CIMG3055.jpg

More to come...

Edited by Qian

Hi Qian, overall you did a very good job on this difficult kit especially considering how fast you've built it. It sure looks menacing the way a tomcat should look. There are a few things that catches my eyes though which I think you can correct in the future. I think the seamlines need a little bit more attention by puttying and sanding them down a little more carefully (upper/lower fuselage in front of the wings, LGBs, drop tanks, aim-54s etc). Also, the paint looks a little too thick at some places. A few thin layers can make a huge difference. Otherwise, a great build on this difficult kit.

BKR!

I don't recall seeing that large Tomcat patch on the side of the nose before... and the inside of the exhausts should be burnt metal, not white. Latter should be used on B/D models. other than that, janissary pointed out details you should watch for with your next builds.

but you posed your Tomcat the way it looks most menacing - wings swept and ready for action! :thumbsup:

Thanks guys! Feedback noted!

@Sebastijan: That nose art patch was for the fun of it! It was an extra decal on the decal sheet so I just placed it on for the coolness! I knew someone sharp enough would notice that! :lol: About the exhaust colors, well I followed the instructions for that. Oh well maybe I can still correct it.