Revell 1/72 F/A-18F Jolly Rogers

2nd entry...

IMG_6456_zps525ef2b6.jpg

I'll be building this in parallel to the Hasegawa Jolly Rogers.

This will be built wheels down, strictly OOB. I will most likely load this up as per the box art.

Really bad molding on one of the intake trunks... I'll need to do some serious clean up there!

IMG_6577_zps7955481a.jpg

Gas bags all painted up... I'll need to spray some gloss clear then they'll be ready for decaling. I might keep the overall plane a bit clean, so I'll only apply light weathering on these gas bags.

IMG_6581_zps7b20faac.jpg

Damned intakes are driving me NUTS!

20140715_213457_zpsjuppfs4f.jpg

As I said in my other thread for the Revell "E", I stupidly painted the insides before putting this together. What a freakin' waste of time and energy!

Put together the front fuselage in parallel to the Kestrels CAG bird... Great fit! I did have to apply quite a bit of pressure and held the parts together while the Tamiya Extra Thin was drying.

20140719_151650_zpswd7rcy67.jpg

I also glued the cockpits to the lower fuselage half.

20140719_210829_zpso5c6jy5t.jpg

BTW, I sprayed the rear IP "hood" with Tamiya X-18 (semi gloss black) thinned with methylated spirit (rather than Tamiya X-20A that I normally use). Surprisingly, the result is actually better. Well, at least for me.... :woot.gif:

Edited by Mike C

Just do it, man! Do it! Do it! Give in to the temptation!! :lol:

The cockpit details are indeed very nice. Could've probably painted the raised details rather than using the decals, but I could not be bothered these days. Especially with my eye sights deteriorating...

So far, the intakes are giving me A LOT of grief! Because of all the sanding, I didn't realise I sanded off the bottom corner of the intake, causing it to get this rounded corner. Hopefully it won't be too obvious...

I might just do that ;)

Be carefull while joining nose subasembly with the rest of the fuselage. I've had some trouble on this join, it required some force and thinning of the nose part to fit with minimal amount of putty. Though it might have been a F... up on my part some time during assembly ;)

Next thing would be the main landing gear - mine seemed to sit too low, as if they were at a wrong angle. Did not notice that untill I've put mine next to one of the Hasegawa Super Hornets - the tail was significantly lower on the Revell one. Again, that might have been my mistake :)

OK... Revell seems to have this really annoying issue with sink marks. I remember having pretty bad sink marks issue with their F-22A kit as well.

IMG_6611_zpsc1d71e27.jpg

IMG_6612_zps849047e8.jpg

The one along the whole width of the aileron is especially bad, I think. I mean, sure the ones underneath are much deeper, but at least they're small, so should be easier to fill.

• 2 weeks later...

Glued on the top and bottom fuselage halves together. I find it quite interesting that the parts fit much better than the "E" version.

20140805_234606_zps1aesr0aj.jpg

20140805_234619_zpsaufuphwr.jpg

I just realised something.... Revell stupidly didn't include the instruction to drill holes for the centreline drop tank, and I also stupidly didn't realise it until now!

Edited by Mike C

All main fuselage parts are on.

IMG_6616_zps310100cb.jpg

After patching up seam lines etc., next up would be the wing tips. I don't really like how Revell did the wings here. Maybe they were thinking of allowing their models to be built with folded wings, but the did it half-heartedly, IMHO.

Edited by Mike C

Installed the wingtips... The right wing tip didn't quite fit properly. It left a bit of a gap on the top, but perfect fit on the bottom. The left wing tip was a perfect fit.

20140816_183802_zpsronuppxr.jpg

So the wingtips come separate but the flaps don't? Odd.

Yep. It would've been better if they molded the wing tips such that the join was the wing fold line, but they didn't. Quite annoying really.

• 2 weeks later...

After 1 spray session of Gunze Aqueous H308 FS36375... Not sure if I'm going to leave the pre-shading showing through like that or spray some more FS36375 to tone down the pre-shading.

20140827_213633_zpslwvwkqsa.jpg

I slightly toned down the preshading by spraying a bit more Gunze H308 FS36375.

20140831_170339_zpsnun3oyzo.jpg

I'm also planning to spray some Tamiya smoke over the area just after the main wheel wells.... Or smudge some oil wash over it with my fingers.

Alrighty... Applied some weathering on the wing tanks.

20140831_205353_zpsvlvbo9hl.jpg

Probably should've done "before" and "after" shots... Oh well....

A couple of weeks ago, I sprayed Gunze Aqueous FS36375, then gloss clear on these tanks then left them in the box. I was initially thinking to apply just oil wash for the weathering. But, then I thought I might spray Tamiya smoke at random instead. That's what I did last weekend. I then sprayed a light misty coat of Gunze Aqueous FS36375 again over the top to tone down the Tamiya smoke slightly.

Sprayed the top with Gunze H307 FS36320. LOVE Gunze. This is after just 1 spray session. Good coverage! So, I decided to apply some post shading, by lightening the FS36320 a bit with a couple of drops of Tamiya flat white, then sprayed some random panels with the lightened paint.

20140902_214426_zpssqntvfum.jpg

I'm thinking that I might have to tone down the pre-shading a bit, because I want to use Tamiya smoke in some areas.