Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About massbalance

  • Rank
  1. HÃ¥kan, she's looking great! Wow, you and Ryan are fast. Just 3 or 4 litres of paint and you will be almost finished! I applaud you guys who are willing to take on these monsters! I too had the Monogram D kit as a kid. The original boxing with the natural metal over white SAC nuclear deterrent scheme, and the electric motor to make the turbine sound, as I recall. It took a LOT of Testors Cement for Plastic Models in the tube. We lived in Tulsa, Oklahoma during the Vietnam war, not very far from the airport. The beautiful silver and white SAC B-52s would coast in to TUL, and roar out
  2. I had a lot to work with. Mike
  3. Jonah, Excellent work, my friend! Very clean building. Model on, dude! Mike
  4. Thanks to HÃ¥kan and to everyone who has commented! I appreciate the support. I made a few small paint touchups, then shot a coat of Future on the A-1H. The following night I began applying the decals. I'm using the Eagle Strike set 72062, "Skyraiders of the Fleet". These have performed well with MicroSet and Microsol. I used a little Solvaset on the green at the top of the rudder to help the decals wrap over the top, and it worked great. I considered going with one of the late 50's Dark Sea Blue schemes, but this small model shows up better in the high-viz colors I think. I still
  5. Well a lot has been going on lately, but I managed to mask and spray the Gull Gray upper surfaces of the A-1H along with the anti-glare panel and Dark Gull Gray "Corrogard" leading edges. Next time, I will add the pylons after painting the leading edges - it will be much easier to mask. As you can see, I also painted base colors for the Mk 82 iron bombs. The only trouble I've had with this kit occurred when I tried to attach the cowl flaps. I had to thin them from the inside and taper the front edges to get them to fit in place. It's really not much of a problem since the cowl flaps are
  6. The large picture of my interior above is a bit dark, so here's a closeup that shows the Eduard brass a little better. 1/72 is not my usual scale - man that stuff is small! Kinda tough on my old eyes. Mike
  7. Primož, Thanks for your kind words! This plane isn't much compared to your excellent work on the He-111 After prepping all the pylons, drop tanks, and landing gear parts, I airbrushed it all using Testors Acryl Flat White. I usually have trouble getting acrylic whites thin enough to spray yet still having any opacity, but this paint worked fairly well last night. Thin to the consistency of milk and build it up in thin layers, as usual. After drying it looked a little thicker than I would like but I can live with it. I have always wanted to try using pencil for panel lines, and
  8. I noticed after getting the big pieces stuck together that the vertical stab and rudder are angled with respect to the centerline of the fuselage. Aircraft designers use this trick often with prop planes to compensate for the large torque reactions caused by the rotating prop. You can see a good example of this with the Hasegawa 1/48 P-47 kits; the offset fin is quite noticeable. Whether this is correct for the A-1H, I don't know, but I suspect it is. I could not tell from the drawings in the Squadron Walk Around book. I decided not to try to straighten it, because it looks like the fin i
  9. I plan to add the PE seat harness later on just before the seat is installed. After the cockpit was glued to the right sidewall, I added some fine nylon screen to the oil cooler insert that sits below and behind the engine. I didn't get a picture of that, but I'll try later. After painting the baffle black, the face was drybrushed with Testors Metalizer Magnesium to pop the screen detail out. Upon joining the fuselage halves, I noticed that the bottom of the fuselage behind the wing was slightly concave when it should be flat. I should have added a spreader from a piece of sprue before at
  10. Hello Mud Movers! This will be my first entry into an ARC Group Build; thanks to Ryan for accepting my application and to Jonah for telling me about it. After taking a break from scale modeling for several months I've returned with refreshed interest. I've started on the 1/72 Hasegawa A-1H Skyraider, using Eduard PE set 72-227 and will finish it with decals from Eagle Strike, Sheet 72062 "Skyraiders of the Fleet". I began this build shortly before learning of the Group Build, so I will post a few shots of work completed so far. If this works, a view of the cockpit will appear. The Hasega
  11. Hi Ryan, I'm new to ARC, though I've been building off & on for a long time. I just heard about this group build from my good friend Jonah, and I'd like to participate with a Hasegawa A-1H Skyraider in 1/72 that I started a couple of weeks ago. I've attached wings and tail to the fuselage, and got a coat of primer on her to correct the seams, so I don't know if I've exceeded the 30% rule. In my favor, I might argue that there will be a LOT of iron hanging off this bird before it's all over, so given that I probably am at less than 30% complete. I'll be using the small Eduard set for t
  • Create New...