enamels curing time

Guest Guest_jose

Actually it depends mainly in the humidity levels where you live (It's not the same drying time if you are downtown Miami or in Peoria, Arizona; get the point?)

Flat paints also cure faster than glossy or semi matt paints.

HTH,

Ricardo

If you're painting enamels over enamels, I usually wait a day or so for flat paints to dry. If you're overcoating with future or an acrylic paint, wait long enough for the paint to completely cure. A good way to see if the paint is dry enough is if it smells. When the paint no longer has a smell, it is probably completely dry and it should be safe to paint over with acrylics. Good luck!

Ricardo is right on the humidity.

One thing to avoid is spraying in high humidity, this will help prevent "fisheyes" under your gloss paints and will make sure the paint adheres better to the plastic.

One thing to remember about Enamels is that they can have no smell to our noses but still be soft.

The trouble is that Enamels skin from the outside and as the part dries, the skin gets tougher and tougher. Soon you have a surface that has fully "outgassed" and you can wax the paint to a high gloss or apply an over coat of clear.

The lessons I learned using Enamel was wait a day between coats unless you have a color that is prone to bleeding. then wait 2 days. If you are wanting to play it safe a coating of clear over the paint followed by a wait will help you in the area of preventing that darned bleeding from happening. I wait a week to polish or wax anything painted with a gloss.

As to flats... I give them a day between coats and 2 days before I dull coat them. then allow that week for the paints to outgas again.

Hope this helps

William G :taunt:

Pffft! You guys need to start thinning with lacquer thinner. With Model Master mattes, lighter, slightly misty coats and I go from one end of the model to the other and back again for full coverage. It's fine to paint over as soon as the paint is set enough to avoid fingerprints, ~15 minutes. Masking within an hour or two, depending on the complexity and amount of tape required - I use paper masks from scans of the instructions for most models, so I scan, enlarge, print and cut them out while the paint dries, then start taping them on. Gloss with Metalizer Sealer the next day, decal half a day later.

Humbrol matte paints take longer though, for some reason. They keep a sort of "velvety" feel for a good few hours (possibly because of the turps?), so I usually give them 3 - 4 hours to cure. Model Master and Humbrol semi-glosses over night, and glosses a couple of days. Xtracolor is good to go in 6 - 12 hours.