Decal overcoating/sealing, flat but how?

I'm not sure if this should be posted here or in the jet modeling section, but I guess it applies to a lot of modern stuff besides jets - so here goes.

A lot of modern jets with bright color markings are painted some shades of flat gray with gloss colors painted on top of that. A modeler, one would normally apply the decals to a suitably smooth surface (gloss paint, a layer of Future, a layer of polished paint, etc.) then spray a flat or glossy overcoat to then seal the decals. For a Blue Angels F/A-18A, the logic would be to spray a gloss final coat. For a jet with all-gray markings, the final coat would be flat to replicate the effect of the subject modeled. My question -> How does one seal decals that should be glossy color markings against a flat background without resorting to tediously cutting strips of tape to mask the parts that should remain glossy?

We don't; we "massage" the truth, a little, and paint the whole thing with a satin varnish. :)

In 50 years, that I've been modelling, no-one's, ever, passed comment. :)

Edgar

And if you want to emphasize the gloss paintwork (actually the decals) even more, you could always go back with a light overpray of clear gloss keeping it mostly on the decals The viewer's eyes will 'see' gloss and less (or no) gloss in essentially the right places. As long as the gloss overspray isn't too heavy, it will be hard to tell where it may drift onto the grey paint, especially if you had applied an overall satin finish first.

John, I have tried this, and it worked for me. When the model is flat coated and you are ready for decals, dip the decal in water to release it from the carrier and then drag it through a PUDDLE of future. The future acts like a decal solvent when drying and you get glossy markings, you just have to be pretty precise on placement the first time!! Hope this helps,

Jack aka BUGFAN