Eduard 1/48 Polikarpov I-16s

Greetings! Well, they are just about ready for paint now. I have added all the tail pieces (tail cone, horizontal stabs and rudder), and several pre-paint small bits. I will leave the engine and cowl off till after I paint to avoid getting camo paint on the engine and so it is easier to attach the exhausts after I paint. From these shots you can see some of the external differences between the type 10 and type 24. They have different engines and different cowls, but those arent attached yet. The type 10 has a tail skid, while the 24 uses a wheel. also, the 24 has indentations for retractable skis while the 10 made do with fixed skis, making the exhaust configuration different. there is a stubborn seam where the wing joins the bottom of the fuse on the 24 that, regardless of filling and sanding continues to leave a step. i have tried several different approaches, but eventually it will submit! Thanks for looking.

Type 10

prepainttop.jpg

prepaintbottom.jpg

type 24

prepainttop.jpg

prepaintbottom.jpg

Your building looks very good. I noticed you have marked the fuselage halves with numbers of type. It is surely harder to build two models at the same time without mixing up the parts :beer4:

About the camouflage of type 10. I am looking forward how you will do it. I wish good luck...

Yeah, the fuse halves are identical between the type 10 and 24, except for the cockpit hatches (one on the type 10, two on the 24). Once the wings were added, it is easy to tell them apart, but I had to do something to keep them straight before that. Thanks, I am looking forward to see how I will do the type 10 camo as well!

Edited by jrallman

got the preshading done and painted the exhaust ports black too. I have masked the exhaust ports with liquid mask, after the pic, and will start paint next.

preshade.jpg

The Eduard kits are definitely nicer than the Hobbycraft/Academy kits. The only somewhat big flaw I have seen on the Eduard kit is that it doesn't have the vertical stabilizer offset to counteract engine torque, but it was only offset a few degrees and most people would never notice (actually they would probably think you screwed up attaching the tail if it was offset). I will say though, that the scratch work I did on the cockpit (there is also a resin cockpit available for the Eduard kit) is mostly wasted since the cockpit opening is so small. It just too dark and narrow to really see anything.

I will say though, that the scratch work I did on the cockpit (there is also a resin cockpit available for the Eduard kit) is mostly wasted since the cockpit opening is so small. It just too dark and narrow to really see anything.

I wondered about that :)

Howdy! Spent some time painting the last two days. Base coats are on both planes now, but I have not put the green on the type 10 yet. I think that will be a somewhat lengthy process. I shot the 24 underside with AII Blue, then hit the top and all of the 10 with AEh9 Gray. The cowls also received gray, and a thin band of aluminum where the cowl attaches to the fuse. The exhaust ports were painted black and masked, which has now been removed. I am going to put the engine/cowl assemblies together next then install them once the exhausts are in. I couldnt wait to see the exhaust so I installed them on the 24. Still have to put them on the 10. Thanks for looking!

Type 10

painttop.jpg

paintbottom.jpg

Type 24

painttop.jpg

paintbottom.jpg

Exhausts

exhauststarboard.jpg

exhaustbottom.jpg

had to take a bit of a break from building over the weekend due to illness. got the engine installed into the cowl of the 24 last night though, so I should be able to attach it to the fuse soon. I have noticed that the cowls dont fit to the fuse very well on either plane. in order to get the wing bottom and the fuse detail to all line up, apparently it makes the fuse a slightly different shape than the cowl. I think a bit of sanding and a little elbow grease should do the trick though.

sup all. well, i managed to get the cowl and engine on the 24 and I think it looks the part. it is realy starting to look like the little Mosca that it will become. I decided to do the vents closed on the 24 and open on the 10, just for some variance. You can see the closed vents through the cowl on the 24. I have also painted the AII green on the 10. Took about 2 hours and my eyes are still crossed from it, but I am pretty happy with the result. I may scuff it up and wear some of it back to the gray in high traffic places with some light sanding, but I still haven't decided for sure. I can install the exhaust and engine/cowl now. Then it will be on to gloss and decals for both before they get landing gear and weathering and fiddly bits etc. Thanks for looking.

Type 24cowlattached.jpg

cowlfront.jpg

Type 10

camotop.jpg

camoportnose.jpg

Yes, it was brush. I decided the best way to make it look like it had been hurriedly brush painted in the field was to use a brush as close to scale as I could reasonably make it, so I took an old 10/0 brush and clipped the bristles down to about 2mm. Then I would get a small amount on the brush and a combination of stippling and brush strokes till it looked right, bit by bit. It was very slow because of the brush size and the small amount of paint I used each time, but in the end it turned out looking pretty convincing. The profile in the Eduard instructions is a little misleading for two reasons. First, the "brush strokes" are way overdone and overscale compared to other evidence I have seen. Second, the color called for, and that I have seen in other discussions of this plane is AII Green, but the green color shown on the Eduard profile looks more like Factory Green. Of course, today I realized that I forgot to put the green on the cockpit door, so I will have to go back and do that, but it small, no big deal.

Thanks guys. I put the nose and exhausts on the 10 and then gloss coated both. I had a few issue with the gloss coat on the type 24. For some reason, it tended to pool on the 24 only, and the pools have a yellowish tint to them. I have to give them a rub down with some fine grit then spray some color to cover it again. Worked fine on the type 10, and i sprayed them at the same time, same paint, pressure, mix, thickness of coat, everything. go figure. anywho, I got the decals on as well. Its a good thing I have two kits because Eduard did not supply enough of the correct style star for the type 10 markings I did. That plane had black outlined stars in 6 locations, but Eduard only supplied 4. Luckily, the type 24 sheet also had 4 black outlined stars, and my type 24 did not need them. Once I do a little touch up paint, I will gloss over the decals then start weathering. Thanks for looking!

Type 10

decalstop.jpg

decalsbottom.jpg

Type 24

decalstop.jpg

decalsbottom.jpg

Edited by jrallman

Erik always has very insightful and well researched things to say. very interesting article! Perhaps this type 10 was soviet painted, perhaps german, but either way, it looks cool. I am planning on doing another plane he mentions in his article, the infamous MiG-3 number 9. I have read his thoughts and Massimo Tessitori's thoughts on that plane, and, while I can't say for certain who is correct, I like Massi's conclusions a bit more, plus I think they will make for a cooler looking model. Thanks!

Edited by jrallman
Perhaps this type 10 was soviet painted, perhaps german, but either way, it looks cool.

Absolutely!!!

I like Massi's conclusions a bit more, plus I think they will make for a cooler looking model.

I think too.

Anyway these aircraft did exist, whether the paint was applied by the russian, the germans or other.

Jean

• 3 weeks later...

Ok it has been a very long time since I posted an update. I recently had to deal with car trouble and alot of housework, so my building time has suffered, but I have finally been able to get back into the swing of things. I have done an oil wash on both planes and added the landing gear to both. The gear itself went on easily, though it is rather thin and I would imagine not very confidence inspiring for pilots! Only the type 10 that I am doing carried gear doors, with the type 24 going without. The gear doors were more difficult to fit and were quite fiddle and delicate. I have also added brake lines to both. It is pretty cool on the type 10 because, to have the brake line avoid the oleo, the brake line actually passed through the gear door and entered the bottom of the wing outside the gear bay. different approach to be sure. The props are assembled and will be attached next, along with the wheels, and then I can shoot the flat coat and do some more weathering, exhaust and gun staining, and then finish up with all the fiddly bits. Camera was dead on batteries last night, so I will take pics tonight and add them. Thanks!

As promised, here are some pics.

Type 10, including the landing gear. oleos will be painted silver after flat coat is applied.

washtop.jpg

washbottom.jpg

landinggear.jpg

type 24. no gear doors on this plane, and gear was in metal primer instead of underside color.

washtop.jpg

washbottom.jpg