I want to build an early production LaGG-3 that was on the Leningrad Front during the winter of '41-42. There is a photo of the aircraft in the book Red Stars showing it camouflaged in what is probably the brownish-green/black pattern over VVS underside blue. It bears the side number '35' presumably in white. The Toko/Roden kit includes markings for this aircraft but the color is red and the overall upper finish is white.

I would much prefer to do one based on a photograph then kit art, but I have run into a wall trying to find any aftermarket VVS markings - I even tried some looking up some Soviet tank turret number decals hoping to find a match, but no luck. I would post a picture, but the scan I did of the kit decal sheet is in pdf format and that is not a valid file format for Imageshack hosting :cheers: When I have a chance I will rescan and save as a jpg file, posting it here. But for now, do any of the few other 72 scale builders know of any potential sources for markings?

Is there anything from Roll Model's stash that might work? The VVS website also might have some recommendations as Matt Bittner who runs the site (a good friend of mine) builds exclusively in 1/72. I will check with him to see if he might know of any alternative sources.

I like the LaGG-3s. The early ones were wretched machines, but they have lines that are pleasing to my eye. Too bad they had to go with the radial to make the La-5 as if they could have stuck a more powerful inline engine in that machine it would have kept the slick looks of the cowl (and maybe resulted in a potentially faster airplane). I've got a 1/48 scale kit coming from a company called "Southern Front." If it arrives in time, I will do it for the GB as well.

Okay, It seems the SF kit's decal sheet also has the Red 35s on it. I can see why you like these as the upper profile of the 3 and the 5 look different.

Edited by Jay Chladek

Chuck,

I've been looking for VVS decals in 1/72 and the selection is sadly lacking. I have a SS sheet that has some cool Yak's on it and some for La-5/7's but that's about it. I'll keep my eyes open for something in Tokyo today.

Mike

Chuck,

I've been looking for VVS decals in 1/72 and the selection is sadly lacking. ...

Mike

I've noticed :P

I have two Yak sheets from AML, a Pe-2 sheet from Eagle Strike and that is about it. On the VVS website, there are mentions of a couple of companies that have done VVS decals, but they apparently have ceased trading. As Jay noted, the script of both the '3' and the '5' are quite are quite distinctive, I would really like to find that in white.

Chuck,

AML recently released a decal sheet for Lagg's. It doesn't include the subjects you discuss, but looks like a very nice sheet. You can see for yourself at AML's website.

I've used AML's decals in the past. I liked them.

HTH, John

Thanks for the tip. Those same ones appeared in an email from Hannant's today announcing new arrivals, but no picture. My preference is still 'white 35', but if that falls through, these may be a useful alternative.