Any Mirage III experts out there?

Hi all,

I am building a couple of Eduard Mirage IIIs, and need help with the colours for the French blue/grey scheme. Does anyone know what colour the intake cones (and intakes, for that matter) should be? Eduard indicate in the instructions silver, but the colour chart shows blue, with no info on the demarcation. I've tried a google image search (but access from China to this is very limited) and can't find any walkarounds in the usual places. Any info much appreciated - what did those intakes look like?

Of course, I did want to do a NMF plane, but one of my fuselage halves was devoid of surface detail so had to scribe it myself, and I'm simply not up to scribing for a finish as punishing as bare metal. If anyone is thinking about buying this kit, look in the box first!

Cheers

Jon

Edited by jonbryon
Hi all,

I am building a couple of Eduard Mirage IIIs, and need help with the colours for the French blue/grey scheme. Does anyone know what colour the intake cones (and intakes, for that matter) should be? Eduard indicate in the instructions silver, but the colour chart shows blue, with no info on the demarcation. I've tried a google image search (but access from China to this is very limited) and can't find any walkarounds in the usual places. Any info much appreciated - what did those intakes look like?

Of course, I did want to do a NMF plane, but one of my fuselage halves was devoid of surface detail so had to scribe it myself, and I'm simply not up to scribing for a finish as punishing as bare metal. If anyone is thinking about buying this kit, look in the box first!

Cheers

Jon

You might wanna talk to Laurent Stern......He's the resident MirageIII/V family guru. ;) His MirageV build in the gallery would be good reference too.

Regards,

Ahson.

The first releases of the Eduard Mirage IIICJ had that bad fuselage side, they did correct it soon after the 1st releases, as you said check the sprews (if possible) before buying, I think there might be a box number change to destinguish the newer releases, but it's been awhile so I'm not sure what the are.

I don't know what Blue Gray camo your talking about on a IIICj, but heres a link to one, is this what your talking about?

http://www.lietadla.com/lietadla/francuzke...age_iiib-08.jpg

or are you looking for the green gray camo?

Curt

Edited by Netz
The first releases of the Eduard Mirage IIICJ had that bad fuselage side, they did correct it soon after the 1st releases, as you said check the sprews (if possible) before buying, I think there might be a box number change to destinguish the newer releases, but it's been awhile so I'm not sure what the are.

I don't know what Blue Gray camo your talking about on a IIICj, but heres a link to one, is this what your talking about?

http://www.lietadla.com/lietadla/francuzke...age_iiib-08.jpg

or are you looking for the green gray camo?

Curt

Ahh...that would explain why my second Mirage has perfectly formed fuselage halves!

Sorry, my original post was not clear. I'm doing a French IIIC in the overall blue/grey (single colour that is blue/grey) over aluminium undersides. I just don't know what the intake cones or the inside of the intake should look like.

Cheers

Jon

...and of course, as soon as I post those, I find the pics I'd been looking for! :nanner:

C in the appropriate scheme:

2004-08-03128.jpg

B in same scheme - note the demarcation line is much farther forward:

dscn1000_filtered.jpg

...and another Djibouti C, deeper down:

mirage3c-007.jpg

(most/all pics from ACWalk, IIRC, to give the proper credit)

Mickey Fickey - they are brilliant pics! Thanks. The paint looks so dirty it's hard to see the demarcation in some of the shots. I think I'll go with a blue interior simply because it's not that easy to see down the intakes in 1/48 anyway.

Really interesting to see the red warning stripe continued on the inner lip of the intake as well. I'd have missed that...

Cheers

Jon

I'd do blue on the inside of the curved piece, and the shock cone, and spray the splitter plate metal, to give more visual interest, but I'm sure you can find evidence pretty much any way, and with all the dirt in there, it's not all that visible.

If you need more pics, lemme know - the walkarounds are ~60MB

Oh, that sounds better! It was kinda hard to tell in the picture whether the spitter plate around the cone was very dirty metal or blue. I like variation!

I do have another question you may be able to help on. Eduard have clear circular lenses (to paint blue) that go on the upper wing near the wing tips (these are different to the wingtip nav lights). Did French IIICs have these - Eduard only show them on the Israeli options (and even then, Isradecal don't show them at all!). Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Jon

I don't have any shots of that area on the blue/silver scheme jets, but I'd say it's a safe bet it was there - it's on Bs, Djibouti Cs and Ss (see following)

*Also*, I'll be e-mailing the walkarounds out starting Tuesday, so anyone who wants on the list, lemme know. The IIIC stuff is 50MB, IIIB and IIIS is another 50MB. It's not a big deal to send to multiple recipients, but I don't want to be mailing individual files to a bunch of people, so speak now, etc.

Djibouti scheme IIIC, under:

mirage3c-022.jpg

...and upper:

mirage3c-033.jpg

...and a different angle:

mirage3c-038.jpg

...and a nice shot of the tip light:

mirage3c-039.jpg

AND a shot of a IIIS, with the same circles:

PayerneFeb2004014.jpg

BTW, I'll be pulling these pics down in a week or two, so save 'em if you need 'em.