A little something for Karl and Joe

I've got all the necessary add-ons done. The base kit is the Revell F-18F. Most of the bumps are shaped epoxy putty. I painted it using MM Acryl. I tried the salt thing and liked it, but not for the reasons I thought I would. I put the salt on, painted, and rinsed it off. What I found was that the salt left a white, chalky area. With some overpainting of gray, it gave a nice, blotchy appearance. It was quite an interesting experiment. This will be Salty Dog 120, which was the jet that tested all the airframe additions. They are painted orange, so it served my purpose of showing what has to be done to convert an F-18F into an EA-18G. This will be a future article in FSM. Thanks Joe and Karl for all your help. I couldn't have done it without you.

g1.JPG

g2.JPG

g3.JPG

g4.JPG

g5.JPG

Looking good! (even more impressive, whatever hosting site you used wasn't blocked by "Navy-Marine Corps Intranet" so i could see it!!)

I just shot future on mine last night (it was back-burnered while I finished up the Black Lion -14D... pics of both soon, I know I'm behind on all that). Used MM Acryl for that too and actually had my best results yet with it. Interestingly, I found more of a distinction between the light ghost gray and dark ghost gray when using acryl than enamel, though it might just be the batch.

Happily, my additions look better under paint than i thought they would, though i like how yours turned out a bit better. Especially the wing fences. In retrospect the styrene I used for mine was a little thin, so there's a wee bit of warpage. Fortunately one has to be REALLY close to see it!

I'll use kit decals for numbers, nat'l insignia and other "normal" stuff and a Super Scale Desert Storm prowler sheet for the squadron designation, artwork, and tailcode. I know the navy, kill joys that they are, will probably make us do the same thing with air wing tail codes every other super hornet squadron is doing, but I like the look of oversied letters on the inboard sides of the tails so that's what I'm going with!

Nice work, Darren. Just don't let the folks over on the "other" thread know you've been stealing time from you challenge! ;)

Hi, from italy.

I just building the same aircraft. I using Italeri 1/48 EA-18G , with BB superbugs cockpitset. I have some difficult to search some important photo that i can see the most important area of this variants. You have use orange paint for these one! Can you told me where you find it?

you can contact me at my mail, i'm in stand by.

regards

girolamo

Im doing the same thing,but using the hasegawa kit,Im following you closely Darren.Im airbrushing my tail markings,much easier to do than trying to make the decals,I have built "saltydog" 407,using the same method,making masks and then airbrusing the tail markings.Looking good Darren..STUMP