This is my first attempt at sci-fi modeling. I've had a project toiling around in my mind since 1997. I have always wanted to do my own version of the ICONS X-Wing diorama.

I got a first run MPC X-wing fighter kit. I just about have the base color painted. I need some help with some other stuff.......I am going to do Red 5 (is there any other? :-) ) flying over the Death Star using the Death Star panels from Germany and clear rod to simulate flight. I am sure this has been done before, just not by me!

What red is the best shade of red on the fuselage and wings? To me, yellow zinc chromate looks about correct for the yellow on top of the fuselage.

How do you guys do the severe weathering that is common on all of the X-Wings? For what I have read for background information on an X-wing, the Rebels didn't care too much about paint jobs, they just used what they had and paid little attention to masking and overspray.

Any thoughts????

Thanks!

My advice...

Dark grey and brown washes, pastels, and many different shades of grey and off white paint.

And any deep red will work for the ship, as you stated...the rebels cared not much for the aesthetics of the paint job on the X wing. Remember this...this is sci fi modeling.You are making a model of a model. Weather the ship how you see fit. There is no right way or wrong way, just have fun with it.

I do sci fi modelling because the rules are less stringent as to where real world subjects are concerned. I always love it when a judge tells me I did something wrong on a fictional sci fi vehicle. I ask him "Ok so when was the last time you saw a real "X-wing fighter."

I love the looks I get.

Just have fun with it.

x14.jpg

xwingfighter2.jpg

Hey Steve,

Jon's right... just weather the way you want. The colors on the movie models always look different due to different lighting and back drops. But someone once gave me a word of advice, even though the vehicle looks white in pictures and on film - never use pure white on the model. That's the only hard and fast rule I follow... it works for me.

Randy

2.jpg

3.jpg

Here is the beginnings of my X-Wing fighter. I am an avid Star Wars fan and have always wanted to do a diorama of the X-Wing flying over the Death Star..........

The decals in the kit were very old and I didn't even try to use them, everything so far is all airbrushed on. Once the painting is COM-plete, I will begin the weather process.

What do you think?

DSCN3340.jpg

DSCN3341.jpg

Lookin good...

Now make some dark grey wash and slop it on the model, maybe add some rust brown if you think it will look good. And use your references and try to match their effects. add some scarring near the weapon ports and ding up the leading edge surfaces and you should be fine.

Have fun dirtying it up...

:banana: