A-26C by Italeri

Gents:

I know there was some discussion about the 1/72 scale A-26 Invader by Italeri when it came out. I was wondering now that it's been out some time and hopefully some have been built what' s everyone's opinion of this kit? Would you buy another one? Does it build up to a reasonable looking model?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

I haven't finished mine, strictly the Revell B-26B, but I didn't like the engines so set out to fit a spare pair of Airfix ones instead. This didn't seem to work out well so I reshaped a pair of Airfix cowlings and opened up the gills. Then I had doubts about the recommended colour scheme and as a result of asking about that I discovered that the one I want to do (the boxart) had B-25 wheels and props. I haven't yet decided whether to buy replacements or pretend I don't know.

Somehow I don't think this you helps much......

I've been slogging my way through this kit for months. I've had to trim, tweak, fill, and sand just about everything. The fit of the clear parts is especially bad. I'm building it for a review, so I'm trying not to do too much modification. I did thin down the cowl flaps, and added some styrene rod exhaust stacks. I also cut out the solid areas of the landing gear struts and added styrene rod.

Here she is at the moment, almost ready for final paint. The wheels, engine cowls, nose transparency and turret are simply dry-fitted for the photo op. All the green areas are primer brushed on to check my seam work. I'm hoping to have her done for our club's contest at the Kalamazoo Air Zoo next month.

Bottom line, I'll probably eventually get the Revell AG A-26B..but I won't build it any time soon. It's far more detailed and accurate than the Airfix kit, but definately requires some modeling skill.

Cheers!

Steve

08-11-07001.jpg

The A-26 used the same wheel/brakes as B-25 - a set of multi disc brakes on each side of the main wheels (they're soooo much fun to replace). They will directly change from one aircraft to the other. The same is true of the props - both use the Ham Standard 23D50 hub and I believe the same blades. (need to find my maintenance manuals to be completly sure.

The differences in brakes and props came with the On-Mark conversions and the B-26K - DC-6 brakes on inside of both MLG and the slightly wider and squared off prop tips (think the hub was still the 23D50)

Edited by Hawk10

Yep..only difference is the nose. The Italeri kit gives you the C-model glass nose, while the Revell kit gives you the B-model gun nose. Strangely, the Revell "B" kit also gives you the blanking plates for the gun turrets (they're on the same sprue as the gun nose, which is also used on the turretless "K" model) but the Italeri "C" kit doesn't. Since almost all Korean War Invaders had the lower turret removed, I had to use styrene sheet and a ton of putty to fill the opening. The Italeri "C" also gives you two types of upper turret..they show it as an option in the instructions, but don't tell you which one is correct. I figured out the right one by checking photos.

Personally, It would have been nice if they had just released the kit with both noses and other bits so you could easilly build an accurate "B" or "C" from the same box. But manufacturers don't seem to like doing multiple-version kits anymore. The reason is obvious..they sell more kits but doing single-variant releases.

SN

Edited by Steve N
The same is true of the props - both use the Ham Standard 23D50 hub and I believe the same blades. (need to find my maintenance manuals to be completly sure.

Here's what you seek, direct from the manuals:

B-25 Prop 12' - 7" OD

Hub: 23E50

Blade Dwg.: 6159A-18

A-26B/C Prop 12' - 7" OD

Hub: 23E50-505

Blade Dwg.: 6359A-18

For our purposes, the props are the same. I use the Quickboost B-25 blades to replace the Italeri/Revell A-26 props.

Don

Now that you mention it, Don..that's another little "tweak" I had to make. The Italeri kit's prop blades are too broad..I had to thin the chord down a bit.

As for the Quickboost props, how do they scale out? I compared the package marked "B-25 Props" with the package marked "PBY Props" and they appear identical. I may be wrong, but I think (in real life) Mitchell prop blades were noticably longer.

SN