This is what I did awhile back. Need to know if I :) . Last year, bought the Hasegawa 1/72 Mustang MK III . Figured, what the heck, paint ot OD and put some USAAF decals on it and, WHOALA! Instant P-51B/C. Now that I'm getting ready to start it, did I misinform myself? Thanks for your time.

Paul

If it helps, Detail and Scale uses one set of drawings labled as:P-51B, P-51C & Mustang III ...you are probably on the right track :doh:

:)

Bruce

P.S. Don't know about the Hasegawa kit though as I seem to recall that the wings are not right for a "Mustang III" (in 1/72) but that is a kit error, not your fault......

Edited by RCAFFAN
This is what I did awhile back. Need to know if I :worship: . Last year, bought the Hasegawa 1/72 Mustang MK III . Figured, what the heck, paint ot OD and put some USAAF decals on it and, WHOALA! Instant P-51B/C. Now that I'm getting ready to start it, did I misinform myself? Thanks for your time.

Paul

As long as your kit includes both the standard and Malcolm canopy, you should be good to go. If it only includes the Malcolm hood, you'll have to check your references to ensure the bird you're building was fitted with it. Many, but not all P-51B's were retrofitted with the Malcolm hood for better visibility and pilot comfort.

HTH

Yes, you did fine. The B and C models were identical (B built in North American's plant at Inglewood California and the C in their Dallas plant) and were both supplied to the RAF as the Mustang III.

The Malcolm hood was a retrofit as noted above. It was used not just on the B model but also on the C as well as on the Mustang III. Years ago there was a common idea that one could spot a C model by its Malcolm canopy but that was debunked with a bit of serial checking against photographs.

Edited by Bob Perry

It's less well known that some Allison-powered aircraft, particularly Tac-R versions of the P-51A, were also retrofitted with Malcolm hoods.

Actually, the Tac-R and PR Mustangs throw some more confusion in, as my understanding is:

F-6A = P-51

F-6B = P-51A

F-6C = P-51B or C

F-6D = P-51D (and K = K).

My brain hurts!