I need help!! Harrier GR7's in Operation 'Telic'

I'm nearly finished with my GR7 and was wondering what variations of warloads it would have carried. I want to do the British GBU's... but dont want to have to scratchbuild them. DId they carry other stuff?

I agree with the above but also wanted to add that for the first few days they also carried a pair of AIM-9L Sidewinders for self-defence. When it bcame clear that the Iraqi Airforce was not a threat the Harriers stopped carrying Sidewinders but retained the launchrails.

Cheers, Ian

AGM-65s were carried on a few missions, but I believe the main loads were UK 1,000lb Paveway IIs and CRV-7 rockets. I'm not sure about the BL.755 CBUs, as they've recently been removed from the inventory. I believe the GR.7 can carry the CBU-87, but I don't know if they did so in Telic.

1/48 UK Paveways can be sourced from Flightpath or from the Airfix Tornado GR.1/GR.4 kit.

According to The MoD, BL755 officially leaves service in 2008. I believe Harriers did have them during Telic but Paveway was preferred. A quick look at mission marks on returning Harriers confirms Paveway as the weapon of choice.

Cheers, Ian

Even though the 755 officially leaves in 2008 it is a big no no now. They were used in the initial stages I think but it is a very political topic.

On a visit to RAF Marham they were not even allowed to show us a drill one.

Maverick is not used now and was used very little as primarily an anti armour weapon and very expensive if not actually taking out tanks.

The CRV-7 has proven to be a much used and liked weapon in Iraq & Afghanistan. They have found you can reuse the 6 shot traijing canister so they set it to single shot for ranging etc and then fire the main pods. Main pods have to be preset on the ground; normally for ripple or salvo fire.

Not sure about Op Telic but harriers in afghanistan have been dropping 2000Lb LGBS, they normally carry one with a fuel tank the other but on some occasions have carried 3.

A harrier looks really strange with just one and the fuel tank the other side, looks like it will fall over. This is the 2000 Lb'er

PavewayIII.jpg

In the foreground is the new 500 Lb Paveway IV, not sure if they are being used operationally yet.

If you want any more pics then PM me and I will see what I can dig out.

Julien

Edited by Julien (UK)
Whiles we`re on the subject, is there any external difference between Enhanced Paveway II & III and the standard types? Some reference say `yay`, some reference say `nay`.

Cheers, Ian

Ian,

the enhanced Paveway in UK service has two small round GPS antenna and a cable conduit along side of the bomb. They need a way to attach the conduit and came up with the very high tech "Large Jubilee Clip!" :banana:

Here are some pics;

EnhancedPavewayIII2.jpg

EnhancedPavewayIIFront.jpg

If you want any high res pics then drop me a PM

Cheers,

Julien